HJ Lager sign

Thanks Received
Hi all,

Just picked this sign up. I know these usually are Hochlandlager but the writing seems to say something else. It is a very worn sign that was damaged when I bought it (been repaired since). Any ideas on this one or am I just reading it wrong? :)

Thanks
Kyle

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Hello,

This is a poor (and ugly) copy made by someone who don't practice german and so paint words that don't exist ! Hope for you, it was not too expensive.

Best regards

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Is there any possibility it was made poorly and never used? The only reason I say this is because the wood has similar ageing to genuine wooden signs I own (British signs). It only owes me £20 so it will hang up as a display piece even if its junk. You can't buy replica signs for that. If it is fake, the ageing that has been done is magnificent.

I have seen a lot of wooden (faked) signs in Paris, in an antik shop district, when I last visited there on a Saturday morning.
The originals in the Musée de l'Armée (Army Museum) looked a lot different on Saturday afternoon.
Wooden items, especially road signs are often faked, not only in Eastern Europe.
Wrong spelling on both words make it obvious here (if you can read German).

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Is there any possibility it was made poorly and never used? The only reason I say this is because the wood has similar ageing to genuine wooden signs I own (British signs). It only owes me £20 so it will hang up as a display piece even if its junk. You can't buy replica signs for that. If it is fake, the ageing that has been done is magnificent.

Hi Kyle,

Just to add to what Debertex and Christian said; there was no Lager called "Horhiandlager". I think that the faker (reenactor perhaps?) just transcribed the word "Hochlandlager" incorrectly from a photograph. A native German speaker during the period would never have made an error like this.

Superb! Thanks for the help everyone. For the price I paid, it's still a cool item to hang in my collection room.

Back