HJ sport victor's wreath from Bann Untergau 554 Graz-Land

P

peterB

I have this laurel wreath which is described as a HJ Sports Competition Victor's Wreath, with a note stating they were still being made up to 1941.

I cannot find any research on it and cannot find any pictures of HJ sports with anyone wearing anything like it. Anyone have any info on it?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I checked the regulations on sports awards within the Hitler Youth and these aren't mentioned. A 1939 regulation standardises award certificates (and their presentation folders) into five classes but as I say, no mention of laurel wreaths but it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility of course that such an item was presented under local arrangements. It would be interesting to know how the writer of the note established that they were made until 1941 as this implies a period source, regulations etc. Having said that, I have no reason to doubt that the item you show is authentic it's just that they aren't mentioned in the regulations. I'm trying to find a photo showing one at a HJ sports meeting.

Hi

It just says "Hitler Youth Sport Competition Victor's Wreath. Note. These wreaths were still being made, and awarded, in 1941."

There are no supporting pictures etc with the wreath and nothing else found in the collection so far about research results (and unfortunately I cannot question the last owner). Still looking through the collections of photos of HJ sports events to see if there is anything.

Regards Peter

Thanks Peter. Yes, let's see if we can come up with a photo at least.

Found a picture of a wreath.

I have found a picture of an HJ Wreath in the book, The HJ vol 2 by J.R. Angolia. It gives me confidence it is not a fantasy item and possibly even real!

Attachments

Last edited:
Ah, I assumed that the one you showed was meant to be hung around the neck :) It would be more conclusive to see one in a period photo but yes, definitely a useful find in Angolia :thumb:

Back