HJ trenching spade (Spaten)...your thoughts?

Thanks Received
Hello all

I recently picked up what is supposed to be a HJ Spade (For comparision, is a regular size Spaten, I believe that is post war) I could only find the maker "Enders" on it, no numbers or anything else. It is about 18 inches (45.7 cm) in length.

Your thoughts?

Rob

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi Rob,

I see this first in RJF Verordnungsblatt 54 dated 20.10.1933, There was only one type then but in the 1936 RZM manufacturing regulations there was one for the DJ and for the HJ. They aren't pictured but the text says that they should all have the RZM symbol and an M8 licence number stamped onto the shovel blade. The early one from 1933 is pictured but it is different to both of those on your attachment.

As far as the dimension goes, 45cm most closely matches the 1936 DJ pattern (47cm). The early HJ spade measured 53,5cm and its 1936 counterpart 49,5cm.

I have nil experience with these spades but certainly as far as the regulations are concerned, the ones in your attachment can't be HJ/DJ. If you need pics just let me know.

Thanks Garry. I couldn't find anything on "enders" either. Just to throw out the question then, I wonder who this smaller military style shovel was made for?

Rob

Here's another of the "Enders" spades. This is described by the seller as being "HJ/DJ" but this is based on the size alone.

As I mentioned above, there were RZM-marked spades for the HJ and DJ. THis from the 1936 manufacturing instructions:

This content can only be viewed by: Blue Group members.

Attachments

Back