BDM Pennant with life rune (Lebensrune) for review

jeh

Thanks Received
I recently acquired a BDM pennant with a red life rune on the reverse side. The pennant measures 33 1/2 long and 19 1/2 wide with three metal rings attached. Can anyone tell me what the rune on the reverse side signified.

Thanks John

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

The symbol on the reverse side is called a "life" rune . This style of penant was used for BDM or JM girls that had medical training (Feldscher) .

very cool pennant,.love the full cotton construction swastika & rune,.very cool RZM tag is present,.very well made pennant,.seen in many period photographs of JM/BDM
groups,.by the way can you post a picture of the RZM tag on this??

cheers,
si

♦The pennant didn't have anything to do with the Lebensborn program?

Attachments

The Rzm tag is for an "A" tax level ... way to low for a pennant like this .
In my opinion , the Rzm tag has been added to enhance the value of the pennant .

BDM/JM pennants normally had clips, not rings. The life rune may or may not be related to BDM engaged in first-aid (GD/UD) but the regulations only talk about flags. There is no mention of pennants (Wimpel). I have to say that I'm not sure about this item yet.

Edit: as a couple of members have already correctly stated, Lebensborn has nothing to do with this pennant.

hi john regardless of the RZM tag,.it is one of the best JM/BDM pennants i have seen with full cotton construction etc,very cool looking pennant,.so well made & rare with the life rune,.i dont think it has anything to do with the lebensborn program this pennant is Jungmadel in my opinion,lebensborn was SS.

cheers,
si

i think it is genuine garry,.not RZM pattern issued but privately made,.& RZM tag added post war to enhance value as mentioned earlier,which is not a big deal imo,still a nice pennant.i would have it in my collection.

si

hi john regardless of the RZM tag,.it is one of the best JM/BDM pennants i have seen with full cotton construction etc,very cool looking pennant,.so well made & rare with the life rune,.i dont think it has anything to do with the lebensborn program this pennant is Jungmädel in my opinion,lebensborn was SS.

cheers,
si

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. I have another BDM banner I will have to post later. John

i think it is genuine garry,.not RZM pattern issued but privately made,.& RZM tag added post war to enhance value as mentioned earlier,which is not a big deal imo,still a nice pennant.i would have it in my collection.

si

That's fine and is of course your prerogative Si. I'm not a fan of the "privately made" scenario because it is open to too much interpretation and therefore abuse. There have been many cases on some forums where it has taken precedence over the information contained in the primary literature which is something I don't personally view as a positive thing for either history or for the collector. Some items were, of course, sometimes privately made and indeed, this was specifically mentioned in the primary literature for certain items but it was not the rule but rather the exception. In the case of John's pennant, the use of rings instead of clips and the use of the life rune must be adequately explained before viewing it as a whole. This is just my opinion to add into the mix.

The symbol on the reverse side is called a "life" rune . This style of penant was used for BDM or JM girls that had medical training (Feldscher) .

Hello,
This rune is the rune of death , right ?

the rune of life is the other way ?

Then this flag can't be related to the Lebensborn.

Wingman15 said that Lebensborn was SS, ok, but BDM could work for Lebensborn, no ?

What do you think about it ?

Fred

Attachments

Hi Fred,

It's a life rune. The pennant has been flipped and then turned 180 degrees to get the view of the rune shown in post #1. There is no Lebensborn angle here.

Hi Fred,

I suppose that the pennant could alternatively have been flipped vertically instead of horizontally for that photo of the reverse but either way the rune would have been in the "life" position.

Back