DJ fanfare banner regulations and changes to Landjahr fanfare banners 1940

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
Some of you may remember a previous discussion about whether the manufacture of DJ fanfare banners was controlled by the RZM. None of us had any concrete evidence for or against at the time. I've since found information on this in a Reichsbefehl RJF:

effective from the 30th of July 1937 an RJF Reichsbefehl (28/II) states that all DJ fanfare banners were to be issued with the rune applied to one side of the banner only and that the receiving units were to apply their own designs to the other. These designs were subject to approval in advance at Gebiet level.

That order explains two things really. Firstly it explains why we sometimes see single sided DJ fanfare banners and secondly it proves that the RZM had control of production prior to July 1937.

Landjahr:

The green Landjahr trumpet banners were discontinued in 1940 and Landjahr units were instructed to replace them with single-sided but otherwise standard HJ trumpet banners with the stipulation that the receiving unit apply a county/city/town crest to the other side. So, if you see one of those it may well be a post-1940 Landjahr trumpet banner. Someone on the forum has a nice Westfalen I think.

Last edited:
Very interesting Garry. Thanks for posting.

The only info I can remember seeing pertinent to this issue is in Phil Baker's "Youth Led by Youth" Volume 1, wherein he reprints "Uniformen der HJ" from 1933. There is an annotation to the depiction of the DJ trumpet banner stating that both sides are to be the same. He also adds a personal note saying that in spite of this requirement a great deal of thought and ingenuity went into the designs for the reverse sides of trumpet banners.

Deutsches Jungvolk Gebiet 25 fanfare banner

And since we're on the subject of trumpet banners with stylised designs to non-Rune sides, you'll forgive me if I post my one:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

thats a killer banner toby lovely stuff, garry that certainlt explains the one sided banners as they obviously where never finished on the second side

Toby that has to be on of the most beautifull banners i have ever seen.:thumbup:

Very interesting Garry,the banner I put on the old forum is a double sided rune with a allmost washed out cloth RZM labeland silver metal fringing ,the fresh info you have provided dates mine pre 1937,well done.regards Roger

Attachments

No probs Roger. The actual regulation is Reichsbefehl RJF 28/II dated 30.07.37 in case you need to note that for your records

Great research Garry! It's good to read of something from an official source regarding these one-sided banners. In the past, some have regarded one-sided banners with suspicion. I posted a pic on the old HJ forum showing at least one, one-sided banner from one of the Party Rallies so there was photographic proof of their existence as well as this newly discovered regulation.

Regards

Russ

Thanks for all the kind words about my banner. It is one of my favourite items.

Very nice banners shown here - Toby, that one is superb!

Regards

Russ

here a photo from a one sided banner

Hans

Attachments

Toby,
That's beautiful.

I had 3 dj trumpet banners.
One had one rune on one side, it never had one on the other side.
One had only one rune, the other had been removed by someone.
The two flags had different size runes.
The third was smaller in size, had runes on both sides and the unit number.
kevin

Attachments

Nice banners Kevin. Do you not have them anymore in the collection?

Regards

Russ

Garry and Toby

Thanks for sharing the information and pictures...an amazing banner.

Collect100

Back