DJ Jungbann 381 Pennant

Thanks Received
A while ago I received a small lot consisting of several DJ items from the 381 (Leer/Ostfriesland) Jungbann; a strap, Ausweis and the pennant posted below.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about this pennant? I can't seem to find any DJ pennants comparable to this one. To me, it looks like a taylor made / one of kind pennant.

Characteristics:

Size: approx. 40 x 70 cm.
Colour: black and white
Material: Cotton (sewing thread as well).
Chain stitched pieces, double sided, with three loops.
Condition: good, has some dirt/dust on it and the edges are in some places a bit rough (normal for its age I suppose).

Thanks in advance for your help.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi,

Yes, as you say, this is not an official pennant. That Jungbann was created in 1937 and therefore well inside the period of standardisation for flags and pennants so this must have been made for a specific function. Possibly as a formation marker during a rally/large sports meet? Diifficult to know to be honest.

Coincidentally, I have a set of documents for a Motor-HJ boy from Bann 381 here if you'd like to see them.

Thanks again for the info Garry.

I believe you're right, it might have served a specific purpose, but I understand it is difficult (if not impossible) to track down which exact purpose.
I am planning to sell this piece, so I am looking to find some more info on it before I put it online for sale.

I've checked your grouping of documents and the Motor-HJ Dienstkarte earlier, a real nice collection you've got there!

Thanks

Yes, photographic evidence would be useful with this one. It's certainly a great-looking pennant though.

It looks to be a good one ... Could you post some closer scans that show the embroidery and stitching ?

I've posted some pictures with a close up of the stitching. I've also attached a picture of the loop and the stitching of the actual flag itself.
I hope they are clear enough.

A correction: the stitching is actually a zigzag type, in stead of a chain stitch I mentioned earlier.

Note: due to the light and amount of zoom I used, the white parts look way more dirty than the actually are (as you can see on the previous pictures I've posted).

Attachments

Now , I am not so sure about this piece ... please do not be offended , Im just being honest . From what I can tell , if original .... the pennant is non regulation , that I`m sure of . If you have a black light , shine it on the pennant .... if it GLOWS it is bad . if not ...it has a chance .

No problem! I'm looking for some honest opinions, so no offense taken. It definitley doesn't look regulation, that's for sure. That's why I'm thinking it's a home made / one of a kind variant pennant.

I used UV light to test it. Especially on the sewing thread. No glow, or whatsoever. That's why I posted in the first post that the thread is also cotton (as far as I can tell).

I think it is an original.
Why would somebody but a lot of work into a piece like this.
If I would make a fake flag to sell I would make it up to the rules.
Otherwise it would not make much sense.
Just my thoughts.

I think it is an original.
Why would somebody but a lot of work into a piece like this.
If I would make a fake flag to sell I would make it up to the rules.
Otherwise it would not make much sense.
Just my thoughts.
most fantasy items dont make sense. Just have a look through a few House of Sword catalogs from the late 70s..full of cloth items that..dont make sense. This is why they sell well, because they are abnormal, and collectors will use what you have just said, as a kind of proof that the item is real, because its wrong..and therefore has to be real, because "why would a faker do that..." well they did, and they do.. the fantasy daggers date back to the 1950s!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why would a forger make a fantasy dagger then, when there were enough good daggers around? TO FOOL YOU, but as the saying goes, it is easier to fool someone, than to convince someone that they have been fooled.

I agree the construction looks odd for sure in the close up photos. I'm used to seeing chain stitched numbers on HJ flags. Not saying this one is bad, but it's most definitely different from most HJ flags I've seen. I do like it and if the price was right on it you could afford to take a chance. If the price is high I'd hold out for something more conforming to regulations unless I had interest in the particular Bann. I'm not really good with flags and would like to see what Sven thinks of this one.

It's a real interesting and unusual pennant, I was wondering about the number. It's not official that's for sure but I like it and I would add this piece to my collection.

Back