Dutch ???

Thanks Received
Can any of our Dutch experts tell me what this insignia means on a small pennant

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Can any of our Dutch experts tell me what this insignia means on a small pennant

I don't know.

What i'm wondering about, Paul. What you got with the dutch ? :laugh: I 've seen a lot of dutch items in you collection....

I wonder if you got some belgian (read flemish) items too?!

I have a soft spot for the people they looked after me well when I was stationed in Germany and also looked after my uncle on the liberation, in fact they still look after him he is in the cemetary near nijmegan

PAUL

I have a soft spot for the people they looked after me well when I was stationed in Germany and also looked after my uncle on the liberation, in fact they still look after him he is in the cemetary near nijmegan

PAUL

Your uncle fought in the liberation! canadien 1st army? with division he surved in?
do you know where and on with cemetary, Paul? did you ever go there to visit the site?

If you post his full name, I 'll go there and take a pic. and post it here....

Hi my uncle was LT NORMAN HOOPER a tank commander with the FORT GARRY HORSE . I was at the grave during my tour in Germany 1966-69 and have not been back since. He was killed in his tank just 3 days before the end near HAMBURG THEN he was brought back to HOLLAND for perminant burial appledorn I think is the name left side rear of cemetary 2nd last row if memory serves me

PAUL

Hi my uncle was LT NORMAN HOOPER a tank commander with the FORT GARRY HORSE . I was at the grave during my tour in Germany 1966-69 and have not been back since. He was killed in his tank just 3 days before the end near HAMBURG THEN he was brought back to HOLLAND for perminant burial appledorn I think is the name left side rear of cemetary 2nd last row if memory serves me

PAUL

that's quit a while ago, not? probably the cem and grave are unchanged since. If I correct the started placing uniform cem. around the globe for the vets of WWII.

In any case, I'm taking a note of this, I'll post a pic of the cemetary and the grave of your uncle. will take a ew weeks, as i only then go there.

Sounds like a great motivation. Also sounds like a great reason to get back over to Europe for a visit Paul :)

I think the grave will be the same but would be nice to confirm all is well and he is not foregotten. He stayed with a Dutch family before the push into the reich and was very good friend with many in the village name foregotten and the people even wrote back to CANADA after his death.

PAUL

I think Garry is right. I am sure you deserve a good trip to Europe!!!

And you know that wherever you go, you may find one of us, those who would like to buy you a great beer.

REgards

Antonio

Sounds like a great motivation. Also sounds like a great reason to get back over to Europe for a visit Paul :)

SO TRUE and so much to do. I used to go up to Amsterdam on the weekends to shop at the flea market on the sight of the jewish getto. Picked up allot of great TR pieces there.

I remember in my uncles letters he talks about how the DUTCH where starving. The CANADIANS where ordered not to feed them but they in fact gave away all thier rations to the thankful people and no one was repremanded he was a big man and tells he lost some weight for a good cause

PAUL

I think the grave will be the same but would be nice to confirm all is well and he is not foregotten. He stayed with a Dutch family before the push into the reich and was very good friend with many in the village name foregotten and the people even wrote back to CANADA after his death.

PAUL

Thats a great thing! and as antonio suggests, come over when you can. we'll make a feast of it....

I already can imagine it: 20 or more of us laying drunk in the gutter :lol:

Mayby he just needed to loose a few pounds:tongue_smilie: Paul

I've heard this before by other people. Anyhows, very generous of those guys. They even almost got into trubble because of it. It must be hell when you don't find any food and any help, how little it may have seemed, will have helped the civils .

(coudn't you post one of these lettres here paul) I would love to read them....:blushing:

THE STORY OF HOW THE Dutch WHERE SAVED FROM STARVATION BY THE CANADIANS and BRITISH is amazing even involving a cease fire with the GERMANS and air drops of food to the population

indeed , thats why i always like to read lettres send home from soldiers that where there in that period.

It also add to overvieuwing what war really means.
War is not glamourous, but hard and ruthless. and it's always the civil population that take the hardest bits.

If you would, you can send scans :drool:to my email (info@hjrp.be)

I do not have access to these letters any more to far away in the east.

Just to confirm my uncle is buried in the GROESBEEK CANADIAN WAR CEMETARY

paul

even better, groesbeek is even nearer where i'm going.

no prob on the lettres, i just was drooling to see them, but what ain't in your possesion .... you can't show... :lol:

I'll go and send the pic to you by mail too paul, if you like (free of charge of course)

back to the main subject of this post does anyone know what organization the pennant represents ?

PAUL

Attachments

Last edited:
Back