Gefolgschaft and Fähnlein flags 8/341 with only one corner patch

Thanks Received
Sorry I'm new to any forum so I'm hoping I do this right. I have just purchased two HJ flags each marked 8/341 on one side only. If the rings are on the left side, the patch would be behind it, or if you look at the flag with the rings to the right, there would be the patch. Is this normal?

Can you post pictures of the flags please? The Gefolgschaft flags should have a corner patch on both sides.

Here are the pictures of the flags. The flags are very well made, and show there age. I believe the patch might have been sewn on to an original flag at a later date. There is no glow via black light, and the stitching looks to be old.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Here are some more pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Hi there and thanks for the pics. HJ Gefolgschaft 8/341 and it's matching DJ Fähnlein 8/341 were located in Gebiet 22 Bayrische-Ostmark (from Dec 1942 renamed to Gebiet 22 Bayreuth). The town of Deggendorf was the administrative centre of Bann 341 and this is marked on the maps. The exact location of the Fähnlein and Gefolgschaft is not shown on our lists here but this is an ongoing project and we may be able to add them in time.

As to the flags themselves, they both look fine based on the pictures. The regulations state that they should have the corner patch on both sides of the flag so why that isn't the case here I couldn't say. Are there any signs of unstitching?

Attachments

Agree, both flags look like they are original. Odd that they have only one patch on the canton. As Garry asks, check for any signs of a missing patch on the blank side. Look with a black light and it may show a "shadow" or "ghost" of a patch that was once there.

Since both flags only have one panel , I would bet that someone took off the panel of of one of the flags that had both and sewed it to another flag that did not have any to make it look like an actual Gefolgschaft Fahne .

Thank you all for your help. My next question would have been, where are the units from? but this has also been answered. I have gone over the flag several times, including a black light, with nothing out of place. It just seemed odd to only have one patch each. The stitching appears to be original, and various from the other, possible done at different times. I have an SS flag and it has similar stitching. This is a great site and I'm happy I have found you guys. I will try to contribute as much as I can. I can read and write German, if I can be of any help please call on me. I do know there are other German speaking members, but keep me in mind.

Since both flags only have one panel , I would bet that someone took off the panel of of one of the flags that had both and sewed it to another flag that did not have any to make it look like an actual Gefolgschaft Fahne .

My tought exactly.

Mike
:belgium

Fun fact: certainly in 1937 the RZM did not sew the corner panels onto the Gefolgschaft and Fähnlein flags as a matter of course. Units could choose to sew them on once they had taken delivery of the flag or they had the option of having the job done prior to delivery by unemployed female NSDAP members at a cost of RM1,20.

Attachments

Often GIs split up their souvenirs. In other words, if an item was taken by a group of soldiers, they would each get part of it. There are some stories of items like a famous SS personality's tunic that had been partially stripped by the GIs who found it so everyone had a memory of the moment. Decades later, thanks to conscientious sleuthing and the fact that some of the group had stayed in touch after the war, most of the parts were reunited with the tunic.

When I find flags with a missing patch, I presume this was the likely scenario.

Back