HJ fanfare trumpets - period items?

Thanks Received
I wonder if I can get some opinions from anyone on these 2 trumpets I have just purchased. They were bought along with 4 banners and another 2 trumpets from a long time collection in France. Obviously the whole lot was not cheap, But I have a couple of concerns.
I know these were made post war, and the bars across the top to hold the banner are different to others I have. If you look at the picture with the banner, it has 4 bars going across, and one has 3 whereas the other one has only 2!! at completely different angles? I am completely confused

Also one is marked AMATI Kraslice (Czech) but during the war the town was called “Graslitz” and one looks as though it’s brass plated rather than solid brass, so my question is do you think these are post war items, or is there anyway to determine if they are wartime. For obvious reasons I need to get this right

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
I think there had to be a silver (collered) edge ( dont know how to translate it) at the end of the fanfare, thats why the strange collor
about the bars and maker i cannot say if its wartime or not, but enough experts here to tell you :thumbup1:

Attachments

Hi John,

This is a difficult area. As mentioned here, information is available which would enable the identification of individual instruments as being "HJ / DJ" but for the majority of stuff out there all that can really be established is that they existed during the period (or not) and that they may therefore have been used by the boys - or indeed not.

As far as fanfare trumpets are concerned, the length of the regulation item had to be 750mm, its tuning was E-flat and there was an RJF eagle on the mouthpiece. Originally the fanfare trumpets had a leather carrying strap. However, the same order states that in cases where the RZM could not supply the required number of instruments, units were permitted to purchase them from local suppliers. These would not have the eagle and very probably no RZM markings but would still have to satisfy the requirements for length and tuning.

Hi Maurice,

That silver flare is specifically mentioned as being prohibited on the fanfare trumpets - certainly in the 1941 regulation I quoted above and at the link.

Thanks for the concise reply Gary. I know I'm up against it when they are devoid of markings. 2 have makers marks on them and 1 mouthpiece has the number 2 on it, but nothing on the others. I suppose you have to be comfortable with them. Of course it would have been wonderful to have them all marked up, but then very few were. But if that was the case, they would have been far more expensive. My son is a musician, and he tells me they are E flat, and the measurements are correct, so who knows!

Thanks for your help, incidentally, how were the ties fastened? I've seen pictures being tied to the bottom bar, or like I did across the top cross bars? Just wondered

Back