HJ flag...opinions

Thanks Received
Hi all...i m looking at this HJ flag, 56 x 29 inches ...i d like your opinions on it
Many thanks
Luca

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I translate that as Bann 256 / Unterbann I / Gefolgschaft 2, mmaking it an early flag (pre-1935) however, those early flags had the numbering going the other way i.e. 2/I/256. The size would make it a Schar flag though so it's confusing the hell out of me as is the Wolfsangel on one side of the flag because that would have gone against convention as both sides of these flags were normally the same. Does it have ring loops or a pocket for the pole?

Some oddities exist with early Schar flags as period photos show. Odd things like the wolfsangle or other symbols were sometimes used. Most examples I've seen that I liked appeared to be locally made or modified, not factory made examples. These flags as best inspected in hand sometimes to get a good or bad opinion of them.

Yes, I would agree with that and also with crack as regards the unit number being reversed. It's worth bearing in mind that Bann 256 was a 1934 addition to the structure of the HJ. There was a standard for flags even then but complete standardisation did not occur until 1935. As Darin says, a closer, hands-on examination would be useful if you are considering taking the flag.

Back