Location of HJ Gefolgschaft 4/II/288?

Thanks Received
Hello,

can pls someone identify and locate this HJ unit for me?

Thanks in advance...
tobi

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Would it be possible to see a shot of the complete flag please (with dimensions if possible)? This type of corner patch would have been found on early HJ Gefolgschaft flags. The numbers stand for:

(Gefolgschaft) 4 / (Unterbann) II / (Bann) 288

This flag was in use no earlier than 15.5.1934, this being the date on which Bann 288 was raised. However, this kind of numbering convention was deprecated in Feb 1935 and replaced with, in the case of your unit, 4/288. This change to unit numbers was quickly followed by the introduction of standardised flags with different corner patches showing that new numbering convention so in your case the panel would show 4/288 (black stitched numbers on a white panel). You can see an example of this type of flag here.

As far as the location of that unit is concerned, our wiki page here shows that Gefolgschaft 1/288 was located in the town of Eltville. The Bann headquarters was also located in Eltville and given the size of the town (population 4400 in 1935) I suspect that Gefolgschaft 4 was also located there or very near. Bann 288 (lists can be found here) was called Niederwald at the time when your type of flag was in use. This was in HJ Gebiet 13, Hessen-Nassau.

Note: the first and third links in the above paragraph lead to Full Member sections of the forum so you won't currently be able to open them.

Hi...thanks for your quick answer which helped a lot.
Here's a pic of the whole flag. Dimensions are 119cm x 164cm.
tobi

Attachments

Great to see you ask this information here, and thanks to member Norkus for referring you to this forum on another forum.

This item is currently listed at the Collectors Guild and priced in the 1400 USD range. A consignment site, so the owner sets the price before it's listed. There are other nice examples of slightly later Gefolgschaftsfahe out there for better money IMO on dealer sites, unless you really want the example with the Unterbann number.

Yes...I know that there are a lot of other Fahnen with better prices but the problem is that I'm living in Germany.
So when I'm going to buy something lets say from the States I need someone in Great Britain where it is send to and from GB to Germany.
All parcels from outside Europe are opened by the German Customs...and it's really not good when they find things with a swastika :blink:

very cool piece i like it,.even better if it was a cotton construction swastika,but still very cool

Back