Pennant (Wimpel) for Jungmädelschaft III/71 and Deutsches Jungvolk "Oranien" flag

Are these the flags you are refering to? The BDM looks a little iffy to me. I don't like that material the swaz is made out of. As for the DJ flag, I sort of like this one, it's just odd enough to be good, but it's not cheap. I like the flag but would not feel comfortable spending 2300 USD on it, as I am not good enough with these odd non standard, non RZM flags to determine if they are period or not. The DJ flag does look interesting however. Perhaps for a foriegn organsiation? As said I am not that good with flags, perhaps Wim, Sven, Joe, or one of the others here that has more experience will offer an opinion on these.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
I'm no expert either. The flags been on the site for a while. It's pricey, but if it's a good one the price is not too bad I think for such a unique flag.

i am learning from you all. lots of information from fellow collectors on the site. Lots of good info from fellow collectors here I hope is helps keep me from purchasing some repos.

These need some logic applied...

Let's assume that the pennant numbers are saying (Schar) III / (Jungmädelschaft) 71.
Taking the RJF nominal figure of 10 girls per Jungmädelschaft that would put the strength of this Jungmädelschar III at 710 girls making it around 4.7 times bigger than its parent unit, the Jungmädelgruppe. However, Mädelschaft pennants were not numbered anyway so we can discount this scenario straight away.

Alternatively, Let's assume that the pennant is saying "(JM-Schar) III / (Jungmädeluntergau) 71".
Well, we can discount that straight away too because because neither the BDM nor the JM Schar pennants were numbered.

The DJ flag is ostensibly for 'Oranien' which is not a place but rather the royal house in Holland. So we have a patchwork, black and white HJ flag with DJ reverse carried proudly by HJ/DJ with royal connections? Not a plausible situation or flag for me..

I note that the proprietor of Oakleaf doesn't know what they are. Still wants a couple of thousand though of course..

As I say, this is just logic being applied to the information shown by these items. From that angle they make nil sense so for me they are both extremely questionable. Yes, Holland did become, in part, 'pro' the NS regime but why 'Oranien', why a black and white HJ flag. Well, just... why? :)

Thanks for your comments Garry. I would think if the DJ flag was good it would have been snapped up by now. It's been on the site for a long time. The JM pennant definetly has some issues from the construction standpoint for me. The "DJ" flag construction seems period, but as you say oddly colored and representing the royal house? Strange.

The word Oranien is maybe connected to the town (or area) of Limburg in Germany. There were several Wilhelms (I to III) who were called Prinz von Oranien-Nassau for example. As I know from Boy Scouts of that area the word Oranien has had some meaning to traditional groups. So it might end up as an early "Banner" (also the rune speaks for that) from Germany. On the other hand the flag is not correct when you look at it from the heraldic point of view. But there is no evidence so far. Too many mights and maybes. Probably needs a photo to be proved.

Back