A study how a pennant is made......

Thanks Received
Well friends,
I am always curios how things were made and if it is possible to do it today too. I decided to make a study how a BDM pennant is made. I asked Garry if this is fine and well here I would like to present you a picture study of making a BDM Mädchengruppenwimpel for Bann 171 Mannheim:

First I bought a the material and I did buy a different shade of red on purpose for obvious reasons!

1-The cloth had to be cut in the right dimensions
2-Sewing the 3 parts together
3-Cut the white square and boarder it
4-Attach the square
5-Cut the black parts for the sw.
6-Attach those with the right distances
7-Chainstitching the numbers
all that twice :001_smile:
8-Sew the 2 parts together
9- Cut edge cloth and attach it
10- Attach the 3 hanger clips
and finish!
That all sounds easy but the trick is in the detail.
Have a look at the pictures which follow! 3 are original and the 68/171 is fake.
Enjoy as much as I was learning it, now production can start! NO just joking!!
Dirk

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

more steps

Attachments

attaching the black bars and giving the final touch.

Attachments

:scared: Looks like you did a great job on this one Dirk. How difficult was it to achieve the chain stitching? People often say that this would be very difficult to get right.

You did an excellent job , how long did it take altogether ?

Just pinned this thread - Eggs-cellent! A real eye opener indeed for those who collect this kind of stuff.

Nice work an aspect of our collections you don't normally see. This is another reason this site is so important !

Hi Jo
My pc crashed doing a backup. The harddrive is broken. I hope they can recover it since the pictures are on it...
Dirk

Is this the way they actually did it back in those days? That really is very interesting! I find it illuminating to see how things are made. Bravo!

Hi,
well as far as I know and was shown , this is the way they did it. Shure, for larger quantities for example cutting the cloth, will be done with a machine, but in general this is it.
I am working on a JM pennant and the general HJ flag right now...
Cheers
Dirk

Wow, nice I have a friend with a Flag shop and He said that he would make me a good reproduction by hand for Xmas.

Chapeau!!
Beautiful work, but it also frightens me..
If you put some "honest wear" on this pennant, it would fool people. (Not that that is your intention).
It really looks the same.
Is the cloth fabric the same as the cloth used in that time?

Hi and thanks! The fabric is very simular to the original. As many have asked to get one made for their hometown. I am thinking in starting a shop for Museum HJ DJ Flags, pennants and Party Ortsgruppe and SA Flags. Of course very close hand made repros but with a featurexthat it can be seen that itcis a repro, e.g. the white will be bright in blacklite..
Cheers Dirk

Fascinating thread & incredible how close your pennant looks compared to an original.

Back