Original Oil Painting of HJ member 1941 AHS

Thanks Received
Although crude, it's original and looks to have been cut from a frame at some point. Artist is Heissler, Adolf Hitler School, 1941. The fellow did nice details on the uniform and insignia. I can't find a reference to the Bann. 7/882. The triangle patch looks like Nord Nordsee.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

You can find the 1942 Bann list here DawnPatrol: http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f69/1942-bann-list-sorted-bann-number-97/ You have to be a Full member Gold to view it but your Bann location and what should be on the triangle are listed there. The "7" on the flag is the Gefolgschaft number.

Couple mistakes on the pic though :) "Nord Nordsee" is wrong for Bann 882 and he is wearing the HJ-Ehrenzeichen honor badge and the Potsdam badge showing early membership of the HJ but doesn't have the tradition braid along the bottom edge of the triangle. Nice painting though.

Hi,

Bann 882 belonged to obergebiet "Ost" Gebiet Danzig WestPreussen the city of Kulm Ost. and not to Nord Nordsee

With the remarks given by Amp and the above mentioned non correct correlation between the flags N° Unit and the triangle, one can wonder if the painting is in fact period made......or just the result of someones imagination.
Altough it remains a nice painting on its own but not to a HJ collector IMO.

wizardelf
:belgium

I answered DawnPatrol after he had posted, but for an unknown reason my post has disappeared.

882 indeed belonged to the Gebiet Danzig-Westpreussen and not to Nord Norsee.

It is a nice painting, but the artist anyway was wrong. It even might be the question it is an original
painting from 1941! I know of some "artists" that can paint anything you want. Even you in a HJ-
or whatever uniform.

I agree a painter would and could use his imagination the way he thought fit but also agree the fakers can do anything also. I do have a period oil painting by PIENS a well know war artist of U-18 at sea sporting a green horseshoe insignia which it never had.:canada1

but would every HJ know the ban number and triangle combos from heart?

They would certainly know their own Ewan and I think that even the least knowledgeable and least interested of the kids would have understood roughly how the system of identification worked. However, this painting is allegedly by an AHS pupil. Would this be the type of boy who is likely to have been clueless about how the Hitler Youth was organised? I doubt it. There are two further aspects of the painting that are incorrect:

1. Potsdam badge, honour badge but no Traditionslitze on the lower edge of the triangle. The kids and their older leaders were very proud of early membership and I don't think that someone from the period would have got this wrong.

2. He is an Oberkameradschaftsführer wearing post-1938 shoulder straps and a Kameradschaftsführer lanyard. This combination means that the depiction is from 1939 at the earliest. For this to be believable we would have to accept that this 17 year old boy took seven years to achieve such a lowly rank.

In my opinion there is too much wrong on this item for it to be from the period.

amazing the detail picked out of this painting by the most knowledgeable members here , I would have been totally taken in on this even though I have some knowledge obviously not enough :biggrin1:. It has to be a post war apparition then . Thanks Garry for those additional details only you and a couple others could pick up on :canada1

This forum has some great investigators on it. Conclusions are drawn from facts and period evidence and not collector lore or speculation. Great detective work guys.

I know this is an old thread, but I've only just seen it. The painting is extremely amateurish--with the incorrect insignia details, I doubt that an HJ member would have painted it, but it looks like it was done by someone who just received their first oil painting set.
Erich

Back