Reichsjugendführerschule Potsdam then and now

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
I came across this postcard (pic 1) showing the HJ Reichsjugendführerschule in Potsdam (Reich Youth Leadership School) and thought I'd try and find out whether it survived the war. The old address was Reichsjugendführerschule I, Neue Königstrasse 66, Potsdam but at some point that street and house number was redesignated as Berliner Str. 90, 14467 Potsdam but after a bit of sniffing around I found that it is still there and that it is now one of two buildings used by the Potsdam district court.

Von Schirach had a long-running battle with the Potsdam town planners concerning the erection of a fence around the property apparently and it would seem that whoever didn't want the fence won. Even today there is still no fence boundary around the grounds.

The property was built in 1896 by Carl Enders and in 1929 it became a Jewish girls' home. 4 years later it was procured by the RJF and began operating as the HJ Reichsjugendführerschule from the 12th of July 1933.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I'm trying hard here but I can't find any (online) photographs of the school which also show the students or visits by von Schirach etc. Does anyone have any or has anyone come across any at all?

maybe, maybe not

Hi Garry,
I came across this picture yesterday while researching for something else. I am not shure, but it might be the same house seen here from the large garden (park) behind the house. "BDM Führerinnen singen Volkslieder im Park der Reichsführerinnenschule in Potsdam". It is picture No. 62 on page 62 in "Jugend unter Hitler" by Heinz Boberach published by Droste. Maybe it is of some help.
Christian

Attachments

Hi Christian,

I just checked and the address for the BDM Reichsführerinnenschule 1 was Neue Königsstraße 41 so it was a different building but on the same road as the Reichsjugendführerschule. I'll try and find the current building now on Google Earth..

The address for the old Reichsführerinnenschule in Potsdam is now Virchowstraße 43. Here it is on Google Earth :thumb: The girls in your photo were sitting approximately where I have placed the red circle.

Attachments

:thumb:

That Wiki entry is incorrect actually as the address for Reichsführerinnenschule 2 was 'Turmhof in Godesberg/Rhein' (current address: Hauptstraße 181, 51143 Köln)

Very cool. One always thinks that Berlin was completely destroyed but this was not the case. I will be the end of September in Berlin - then I take my camera of course with me :thumb:

Back