Shield Reichsseesportschule 1 "Gorch Fock"

Thanks Received
Hello,

I have taken this shield times, because it just me more times interested, the seller said New looks but is old ...
The diamond I think for a copy, but this can be added later, laterally you can see the gold color under it ...

Well, I'm curious what you mean to the piece ...

Greetings

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

So the HK times down ...

Attachments

Strange item. That paint does not look period at all to me. If it is a legitimate item I think someone has tried to embellish it with paint and a new piece of wood. I don't know enough about these type of items to say good or bad, but I don't like that paint at all personally.

This reminds of the shields given by military units to leaving members or when on an exchange visit. I have a couple myself but this Reichsseesportschule shield simply has too much "stuff" on it for me. It's trying too hard with its knots, compass, semaphore flags, rank patches, anchors... Apart from a ship, a seagull and a prostitute it has everything. The HJ badge is a fake I'm sure but look at the bird's legs. They are painted in the colours of today's german flag. Now, those colours were used by the german navy between 1848–1852 so that could be a tenuous link to the past that was sometimes a trait of HJ items but would they have got away with these colours back in nazi Germany? The paint-job is dreadful (could have been done by a drunken sailor I suppose) and clearly modern but who knows? Under that paint there may lie an authentic item but this shield is definitely an oddball. Too oddball for me I have to say.

Hello,

thanks for your answers, I also consider the piece for a later remembrance.
Whether there were such pieces in the time and it has come away and he later modeled it, one does not know. Think it must have been a student of this school, otherwise you do not like something. The feet of the eagle look as if the yellow color came later, perhaps to distract from the old time. Nice that you noticed but Garry.
I've just taken this piece because I'm interested because very much of the school is not otherwise.

Maybe there is something again like caps band etc. then you can put that to it. Somehow it belongs nevertheless to it because no one makes something just from boredom after ...
As I said, it just wanted to imagine you apparently there were not only shields as a reminder of the military but also of the HJ ...

Best regards

Hi Falco,

Yes, I would agree that it is possibly a piece made to commemorate time spent at the school but exactly when it was made is difficult to know. Certainly an interesting item though :thumb:

Back