NPEA Oranienstein embroidered triangle

I would like to see what Phillipe Gillian has to say regarding this insignia, as it is credited to him in the reference. I would also be interested in Ron Wieand's thoughts as well, he has studied the NPEA for many years and no doubt seen hundreds of NPEA photos and items hands on.

Wim Saris's book is a great work and I learned many things when I bought it... a few of my triangles are also shown there.

I would like to see what Phillipe Gillian has to say regarding this insignia, as it is credited to him in the reference. I would also be interested in Ron Wieand's thoughts as well, he has studied the NPEA for many years and no doubt seen hundreds of NPEA photos and items hands on.
Hi Darin,
This uniform is a total reconstruction and I agree with Debertex.
For me, shoulder boards are fake. Therefore, it is a bad example.
Best regards
Eric

No sweating Paul, just trying to get all the differing thoughts in one thread! Nice to see so many takes on an item, keeps the forum active.

I would not conclude Pauls NPEA triangle as a well made reproduction .
If you look at these two German Red Cross sleeve insignias made for DRK Officers , you will see varying details that are different in construction .

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
thanks for the further input those are very nice officer quality insignia and just further promotes the fact that there was certainly multiple grades of insignia for those of higher rank and better means to purchase such nice stuff

:canada1

NPEAs

My first comments revolve around the SS domination of the NPEA Schools. This did NOT happen until the 1942-43 period.
Next, the NPEA Schools originated from the Prussian Ministry of Education. Rust, through Haupt, formed the schools as a higher education boarding school as a Present for Hitler in 1933. Haupt was an educator working in the ministry at that time who also was involved in the HJ movement and was Hitler's first choice for HJ top post, but he declined the post to remain in education.
Next, Heissmeier the SS Administrator for the schools after Haupt left the ministry was also a member of the Ministry of Education under Rust (Prussian Ministry of Education head in 1933 and appointed the Reich Minister of Education in 1934). So while an SS member and General, Heissmeier was an educator first and an assistant to Rust until midwar when he became head of the schools after the SS assumed control.
Heissmeier had been the head of the schools for the Reich Education Ministry under Rust from the time Haupt left until the end of the war.
Next, my feelings on the triangle in question is unsure. While possible, I find it hard to believe in anything unofficial being worn. The only possible reason is the triangle MIGHT be from the mid 1930s before the standardization of the NPEA triangles in 1938-1939 period. Doubt will always remain until a period photo can be produced IMO. AFter the war began, the triangles were phased out the the SS sleeve eagle was worn after the control of the schools reverted to the SS in 42-43.

thanks for the comments very interesting. My point would be then is this an unofficial version or simply a higher grade for officer of the approved version

:canada1

In My Opinion , the NPEA hand embroidered triangle is unofficial . However: at the quaility that it is , was problibly made for the Leader of the school himself . A lower administration staff member would not dare outshine the head master of the school .

Case in point ....... Ist SS Panzer Div. ( Leibstandarte SS Adolf-Hitler ) The Commander of the top SS division was Sepp Deitrich . He was well known for wearing unofficial -non regulation insignia on his uniforms . His sleeve eagle was gold embroidered , his caps had a gold embroidered eagle with a silver cap skull , one of his visors had an Army eagle with a metal skull, his Adolfhitler cufftitle was a common officers flatwire pattern with golden thread embroided over the silver flatwire .

Just trying to explain, that you cant just go by what regulations say.

Back