Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Understood but that doesn't apply to the Hitler Youth whose whole ethos was that youth was led by youth and that all were equal. Von Schirach allowed every member of the youth from the youngest Pimpf right up to his Stabsführer to address him with 'du' rather than the formal 'Sie' (du and Sie equate to 'you'). Very unusual but a strong outward signal that he, although the overall leader, was 'one of them'. I still have my reservations about the triangle as mentioned earlier because it seems too 'pompous'. I think a picture of one in wear would be very useful here.

Please login to view user info
    This forum is a place to study the different aspects of the HJ who was not an army but a youth organisation.

The use of a uniform in a youth organisaton has 3 functions :
    _the young knows and shows to what he belongs.
    _the young learns that he is only a part of the group. he needs the others and the others need him.
    _the young, because of the same clothes for all, is no more the son of a poor or the son of a rich.

It's the same with scouting and in many country's schools, as you know.

Nothing to do with an army and the commonly accepted fantasy of his heroes and leaders.

there was a picture posted not long ago of a group of leaders at a rally . They where all wearing stab triangles and one was definitely higher quality wire embroidered . As I said before the patina on this and quality is not duplicated today . I don't throw my cash away on dreams. I know many of the foreign triangles are made of this similar design ie non bevo weave and they are now considered correct Mostly ! . This forum will drag out more example I am sure:canada:

Quote Originally Posted by DEBERTEX View Post
    This forum is a place to study the different aspects of the HJ who was not an army but a youth organisation.

The use of a uniform in a youth organisaton has 3 functions :
    _the young knows and shows to what he belongs.
    _the young learns that he is only a part of the group. he needs the others and the others need him.
    _the young, because of the same clothes for all, is no more the son of a poor or the son of a rich.

It's the same with scouting and in many country's schools, as you know.

Nothing to do with an army and the commonly accepted fantasy of his heroes and leaders.

I think this is all very nice in the real world but in the 40s the HJ was nothing more than a training ground for new cannon fodder and to say the above credo was valid is rubbish IMO

:canada:

Thanks for opening us the eyes ! Tell us more, please.

And now, without joking : We all know the end of the story but at the beginning nobody did. OK ?
    Going to the HJ was, for a young, like going to the scouts. At this age, a young (even a german) was very seldom interested with politics.
    The adults had certainly other concepts about the youth but you must admit that camping, sport, music, modelling and even flying or sailing were certainly the best way to make the boys and the girls be happy to be there and that's what happened. You should read some books...

I have read the books and what you put foreward is the pre war ideals of the youth. If you read the books you will notice the pictures are after 39 of youth with machine guns camouflaged throwing stick grenades and also the books tell us membership became compulsory also more of the leaders where wounded war vets right ?

This is what the Saris reference says in regard to a triangle similar to this on page 521. Some will agree with Saris and some will not agree with him. For me, I just don't know.

"Regulations did not address the subject of hand embroidered triangles, but it was probably privately done by some leaders. This original spcimen for NPEA Ornienstein has the silver wire, hand embroidered lettering. Note the edging which is also silver wire. This triangle is worn on a tunic which still has the earlier shown aluminum hand embroidered shoulder straps. NPEA triangles with embroidered lettering of all kinds have been reproduced since about 2004 to include silver or aluminum wire versions. They are easy to identify, however because of the wrong material used and the wrong form of lettering."

Saris credits Phillipe Gillian for the example shown in the book. From the passage above Saris seems to alude to the fact that the example shown is attached to a uniform but does not clearly state that it is. It would have been nice to see photos of the uniform that he aludes to in the book.

I respect both the opinions of Paul and Debertex on these type of items. While I don't collect triangles, I've seen some very odd things regarding shoulder straps and even have some really strange examples in my own collection.
    Last edited by Gefolgschaft; 18th September 2010 at 09:57 PM.

the odd and unusual is what make the hunt most fun. I am the last person to want junk in his collection but am sold on this triangle having it in hand. If any viewer has more info and does have hand made examples in their collection please post .

Hi,
    I agree with debertex and Darin. I would like to add that this triangle has been made by a tailor. I am sure this is not an official but private item. It is genuine for me 100%. I also wish to greet Phillippe Gilain for such knowledge in this area.
    Best regards
    Eric

yes there is no doubt it is private tailor made do you have an example WIDIKUND ?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast