Reichsdeutsche Jugend Ausland (female) sleeve triangle

That's right D. Sonny shared that list with me a long time before the book was published actually.

Here a document ob Bann 1 Kronstadt:
http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f35/very-rare-document-dj-romania-bann-1-kronstadt-3634/

Hi Daniel,

The youth organisation in the countries you mentioned was the 'Deutsche Jugend'. You can see the distribution on the attached picture. These were ethnic Germans (Volksdeutsche). The Deutsche Jugend also wore triangles but these are very scarce and of a different pattern. You can see some of those currently known here The Saris book may contain more but I don't have a copy of that.

Here is a set of documents for a girl who was a member of the Deutscher Mädelbund in the Deutsche Jugend Banat and Serbia.

triangles of Eastern Territories

Thanks for the quick and numerous response! Well, these triangles are known to me, partly from Saris' book, partly from collections. However, I have photos (sorry, can't post them since with the purchase of them I have got an restriction to publish), which show Wehrmacht soldiers, attended by BdM girls wearing the RDJ Ausland triangle. On the reverse side they are dated and located to Bulgaria.

Rgds

Daniel

Shame you can't show the pics but of course it doesn't necessarily follow that the girls were Bulgarians (if that's what you meant :001_smile:). Can I ask why you are being prevented by the seller from showing your pics? Seems odd..

Just to illustrate what I was getting at - here's a pic from the October 1941 issue of 'Das deutsche Mädel' showing BDM girls from Hamburg visiting Wehrmacht soldiers in Bulgaria. Doesn't make them Bulgarian ;-)

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

RDJ Ausland

Sorry for the delayed response. Well, when I purchased these pictures the seller needed money to raise due to a personal issue/problem. However, he was/is planning to write an article fro some military magazine where he want's to use these pictures. Since he want's to be the first who's publishing them, I agreed to keep them "locked away" until this article is printed. That's the background on that.

Nice magazine article, btw. Interesting to see what they have done to entertain our troops - carrying girls from Hamburg to Bulgaria ... they didn't avoid any efforts ...

Anyway, as stated in my previous post the girls on my photos are clearly wearing the "RDJ Ausland" triangle. Of course I get the irony on your post, that they don't have to be necessarily Bulgarians but honestly this would be a bit odd to carry girls from France/Western Europe all the way to Bulgaria for a chat with some exhausted soldiers.
I believe it would have been lead to more appreciation by the Landsers to see/speak to girls from the fatherland instead foreign girls if it would have been necassary to "ship" girls across Europe.

Rgds

Daniel

Ah, okay Daniel. Situation with the photos now understood. Thanks :thumb:

I can't disagree with the logic of sending BDM girls from units much closer to Bulgaria but then again, Gebiet Hamburg is 1500km distant from Sofia and it still sent these BDM girls.. I would imagine that they were flown there but still. Your photos are an indication that there may have been RJA members in Bulgaria but to counter that I would say that the photos I have of myself in Cyprus aren't proof that I'm a Cypriot :001_smile:

it says the area on the trangle , ""ausland "",, so its for any area outside the reich
fRANCE DENMARK BELGIUM WHERE EVER YOU LIKE

Yes, Belgium is on the list of the countries officially noted as being 'Reichsdeutsche Jugend im Ausland' in the period book from which I'm quoting. England, Ireland, Holland, Portugal, Switzerland, Luxemburg and Spain are also Western European and on the list but France is not. You seemed to want to know whether France was a possible origin for the triangle you showed and I approached my answer based on that premise.

Eupen and Malmedy were incorporated into the HJ on the 18th of May 1940. On the 12th of September in the same year the Deutsche Volksjugend Elsaß was incorporated into Gebiet 21 Baden and the Lothringsche Jugend was incorporated into Gebiet 25 Saarpfalz (later Westmark)**

These dates are after the introduction of the triangle in 1939* so if the Reichsdeutsche Jugend triangle was being worn prior to that in the french regions then I would really expect to see France or at least those parts of France mentioned above listed as being part of the Reichsdeutsche Jugend.

I'm thinking logically here. Yes, I would expect to see pictures of the Reichsdeutsche triangle being worn in Belgium as that country is on the list but not France as that country is not listed as a 'Kameradschaftsland'.

If your reference can assist further please don't hesitate to post it. You started this thread after all :thumb:

* I don't have a reference showing the introduction date for the triangle but Joe would appear to have a source which says 1939.
** Das kommende Deutschland 1940.

Edit: these pics were posted later in this thread by Delatour but I've copied them to here too. Thanks Delatour :thumb:

Confirmation from Al, a veteran, that the triangle was worn in France. At the time his father was a diplomat.

Back