Jungbann 201 Herbert Norkus

Thanks Received
Most of you have already seen this, but it's the star of my HJ collection. This one was like the holy grail of HJ for me. Thanks to Garry for passing this one on to me.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

That grouping is one important piece of history.Thanks for sharing Darin

Darin

When would have this been worn ?
I would think prior to 1935 ???

Still didn't framed it in ? :D Darin, I just love it. Thanks for sharing. I've see you've taken his portrait as avatar. I have some documents about him but cannot find them.

Darin

When would have this been worn ?
I would think prior to 1935 ???

Joe, here's the best information I have on the Bann. Keep in mind that the set has not always been together, but assembled around the Norkus rune as a representation. The Norkus patch was worn instead of the normal Sigrune insignia. The Ausweis dates to the earlier part of 1934. I have an early Berlin Triangle on the way that's a better match, and the shoulder strap should be a 1/201 early pattern to be entirely correct.

Bann 201 was raised officially August 1, 1933 at Ost Berlin with the name Schoeneberg-Moabit. The Oberbann-color for the HY shoulder-strap piping and the piping for the visored cap was first yellow. This was changed into
black on January 1, 1934. The name for the Bann was changed simultaneously into Moabit. The name Herbert Norkus was granted first to Schar 2 from Gau Berlin on August 8, 1932.

On April 7, 1934 the name Herbert Norkus was granted to Bann 201 and so this name was in use instead of Moabit. For unknown reason the name for the Bann was changed again in Moabit-Schoeneberg on March 1, 1935. The honour-name Norkus was once again granted October 1, 1938.

July 11, 1935 the Jungvolk Jungbann I/201 was raised with the name Moabit- Schoeneberg. The roman number was no longer used after August 1, 1937. The name for the Jungbann remained as it was.
All information comes from the Verordnungsblatt from the Reichsjugendfuehrung.

hi darin
thats a great bit of info
thanks for sharing
stu

More information on Herbert Norkus

On January 24, 1932, Herbert Norkus and other Hitler Youth were distributing leaflets advertising an upcoming Nazi meeting. The group was attacked by Communists and fled. However, Norkus was caught and stabbed twice. He broke free and ran to a nearby house for help, but the owner, a night watchman, slammed the door in his face. Norkus ran to the next building, but the boys caught up to him. He broke free again, hollering for help, he knocked on the door of the building but nobody answered. Norkus was then stabbed six more times. He managed to break free once more, leaving a bloody trail as he stumbled towards the next house. Marie Jobs opened to door, and her mother bent over the body of Herbert Norkus, who had collapsed in the corrider leaving bloody hand prints on the wall where he had tried to pull himself up. The Communists fled. Mrs. Jobs called for a taxi, and Norkus was taken to Moabit Hospital, where he died shortly afterwards.

Some Norkus related photos

First pic. the funeral of Herbert Norkus. Second, the grave of Norkus. Third, honor guard at the grave of Norkus, note the mixture of uniforms. Fourth, Norkus memorial in Thuringen. Fifth, Jungbann 201.

Attachments

More Norkus Photos.

First, memorial where Norkus was stabbed. Second, tribute or song about Norkus (if someone could translate that would be awesome).

Attachments

Does anyone have a picture of Herbert Norkus when he was alive and breathing ?

It's also interesting to note within two weeks of the death of Herbert Norkus, Hitler spoke to the Berlin Hitler Youth at a rally the Tennishalle im Westen. The rally was attended by the SS, the Studentenbund and the Hitler Youth. Hitler personally greeted and recognized the hero's Moabit camrades. Shortly after the death of Norkus, I'm unsure of the exact date, the flag of Schar 2 Hitler Jugend Beusselkeitz-Hansa became the Blutfahne of the Hitler Jugend. The whereabouts or fate of this Blutfahne are currently unknown.

Last edited:
super research was wondering the meaning of your lot when you first posted it. It would be interesting to see a modern photo of the area where the memorial cairn stood or is still standing sans insignia

PAUL

Here are some photos:

Pic 1 shows three comrades posing at the spot where Norkus died. One is carrying the Norkus flag.
Pic 2 shows an honour guard at his grave.
Pic 3 shows Norkus with his Kameradschaft. He's third from left with his head bowed.

Scanned from the book 'Herbert Norkus - Hier' 1933

Attachments

Better photo of Norkus from the old forum, and a news article of his death.

Attachments

Back