Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jungbann 201 Herbert Norkus

Most of you have already seen this, but it's the star of my HJ collection. This one was like the holy grail of HJ for me. Thanks to Garry for passing this one on to me.

Attached Images Attached Images

Please login to view user info
    That grouping is one important piece of history.Thanks for sharing Darin

relly nice set, dont let this one go
    stu

Darin

When would have this been worn ?
    I would think prior to 1935 ???

Still didn't framed it in ? :D Darin, I just love it. Thanks for sharing. I've see you've taken his portrait as avatar. I have some documents about him but cannot find them.

Quote Originally Posted by joecool View Post
    Darin

When would have this been worn ?
    I would think prior to 1935 ???
    Joe, here's the best information I have on the Bann. Keep in mind that the set has not always been together, but assembled around the Norkus rune as a representation. The Norkus patch was worn instead of the normal Sigrune insignia. The Ausweis dates to the earlier part of 1934. I have an early Berlin Triangle on the way that's a better match, and the shoulder strap should be a 1/201 early pattern to be entirely correct.

Bann 201 was raised officially August 1, 1933 at Ost Berlin with the name Schoeneberg-Moabit. The Oberbann-color for the HY shoulder-strap piping and the piping for the visored cap was first yellow. This was changed into
    black on January 1, 1934. The name for the Bann was changed simultaneously into Moabit. The name Herbert Norkus was granted first to Schar 2 from Gau Berlin on August 8, 1932.

On April 7, 1934 the name Herbert Norkus was granted to Bann 201 and so this name was in use instead of Moabit. For unknown reason the name for the Bann was changed again in Moabit-Schoeneberg on March 1, 1935. The honour-name Norkus was once again granted October 1, 1938.

July 11, 1935 the Jungvolk Jungbann I/201 was raised with the name Moabit- Schoeneberg. The roman number was no longer used after August 1, 1937. The name for the Jungbann remained as it was.
    All information comes from the Verordnungsblatt from the Reichsjugendfuehrung.

hi darin
    thats a great bit of info
    thanks for sharing
    stu

Will post some photos of Norkus, and his grave with an honour guard when I get a chance to scan them.

More information on Herbert Norkus

On January 24, 1932, Herbert Norkus and other Hitler Youth were distributing leaflets advertising an upcoming Nazi meeting. The group was attacked by Communists and fled. However, Norkus was caught and stabbed twice. He broke free and ran to a nearby house for help, but the owner, a night watchman, slammed the door in his face. Norkus ran to the next building, but the boys caught up to him. He broke free again, hollering for help, he knocked on the door of the building but nobody answered. Norkus was then stabbed six more times. He managed to break free once more, leaving a bloody trail as he stumbled towards the next house. Marie Jobs opened to door, and her mother bent over the body of Herbert Norkus, who had collapsed in the corrider leaving bloody hand prints on the wall where he had tried to pull himself up. The Communists fled. Mrs. Jobs called for a taxi, and Norkus was taken to Moabit Hospital, where he died shortly afterwards.

Some Norkus related photos

First pic. the funeral of Herbert Norkus. Second, the grave of Norkus. Third, honour guard at the grave of Norkus, note the mixture of uniforms. Fourth, Norkus memorial in Thuringen. Fifth, Jungbann 201.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast