Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Please login to view user info
    tony thank you so much for the detailed answer you have given to my question,i apolagise that the question had to make you work so hard to explain, but you have dont so in gret detail ,ill give a more straight forward one next time
    thanks again
    stu

Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    tony thank you so much for the detailed answer you have given to my question,i apolagise that the question had to make you work so hard to explain, but you have dont so in gret detail ,ill give a more straight forward one next time
    thanks again
    stu

Anytime Stu it is good for to give the gray matter a stir from time to time...I enjoyed answering the questions.

You should write a book. It is really interesting to read it!

Thanks for everything.

Regards

Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    You should write a book. It is really interesting to read it!

Thanks for everything.

Regards

Antonio
    One day.....;)

Thanks

Tony

Thanks Tony. This does indeed raise an interesting question. Schirach's transition from Jugendführer to Gauleiter seems, when you read the literature, to have been straightforward. Hitler needed a replacement for Bürckel in Vienna - Von Schirach gets the job and an excellent testimonial from Hitler for his work with the youth and then Axmann gets the job. During the latter's period in office the HJ was finally turned into the organisation evidently envisaged by Axmann from very early on. It begs the question of whether Schirach may have been promoted in order that someone more sympathetic to the idea of militarising the HJ could take over. Axmann seems (with his vague answer at the top of your post) to be struggling to use the war to justify what happened to the HJ but further down the page he says that even early on he wanted a different future for the youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry View Post
    Thanks Tony. This does indeed raise an interesting question. Schirach's transition from Jugendführer to Gauleiter seems, when you read the literature, to have been straightforward. Hitler needed a replacement for Bürckel in Vienna - Von Schirach gets the job and an excellent testimonial from Hitler for his work with the youth and then Axmann gets the job. During the latter's period in office the HJ was finally turned into the organisation evidently envisaged by Axmann from very early on. It begs the question of whether Schirach may have been promoted in order that someone more sympathetic to the idea of militarising the HJ could take over. Axmann seems (with his vague answer at the top of your post) to be struggling to use the war to justify what happened to the HJ but further down the page he says that even early on he wanted a different future for the youth.
    The difference in the two mens out look is reflected in their perception of both the future and Himmler, a big influence on both men.

I think the answer is along the lines of while von Schirach saw a more pastoral and management based HJ in a world of peace; Axmann on the other hand saw a junior arm of the SS - the elite, the best of the best. Which with the character of the man is not a surprise.

So we have von Schirach seeing the mysticism and folklore angle of the SS as more in line with his ideas; we see Axmann viewing it as a proving ground for the SS and the prestige that went with it

Thanks Tony.

Did von Schirach say more about the trial? Did you ask Axmann about that too?

Quote Originally Posted by Garry View Post
    Thanks Tony.

Did von Schirach say more about the trial? Did you ask Axmann about that too?
    I asked about the trial and he recommended that I read the transcript first, which I did - I went on to read all 42 volumes - It raised a couple of questions that he answered but I really cannot be sure enough to quote them - it was a by-line at the time

Axmann and I never spoke of his trial, we spoke about actions and events up to his capture, which was the focus of my research at the time, the rest was a matter of record he said.

Smile

Mr Fermor
    This stuff is an awesome window back in time. My heartfelt respect to you for taking the trouble to share.
    PB

Quote Originally Posted by PatBateman View Post
    Mr Fermor
    This stuff is an awesome window back in time. My heartfelt respect to you for taking the trouble to share.
    PB
    Anytime, its a pleasure

Tony

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast