Craig Gottlieb auctions - someone got fleeced

Thanks Received
Lord above, $322.- for a damaged HJ membership badge. Well thats all they got, because the other 3 items are all easy to spot fakes :lol:

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Just for me can you say the problems with the shooting badges? I must say they do not look obviously bad.

Just for me can you say the problems with the shooting badges? I must say they do not look obviously bad.

Looking at the badges (bottom left and bottom right) I can't see anything obvious that marks these out as fakes but it's my understanding that a suspicion exists about the M1/14 MM having been used by the fakers. To my knowledge there is no proof for this as yet but the suspicion remains and therefore M1/14 shooting badges tend to be avoided. More than happy to be corrected on that if I'm wrong.

I see the thread at the link as being a good example of how little is really known about legitimate makers of the HJ/DJ shooting badges (myself included of course):

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f49/list-legitimate-makers-hj-dj-shooting-badges-7996/

I see the thread at the link as being a good example of how little is really known about legitimate makers of the HJ/DJ shooting badges (myself included of course):

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f49/list-legitimate-makers-hj-dj-shooting-badges-7996/

I was looking at this thread yesterday wondering why it was so undeveloped. Another frontier yet to be explored...

Well Craig does not exactly have the best rep when it comes to his auctions, or anything relating to him for that matter.

I'm suprised that people still want to buy form that ordinary grave digger...

Regards, Wim

To be fair to him, the auction description does not say that they are original. (Although i thought i read somewhere on his site that all sales are guaranteed original?) in any case. Funny thats what it is.

The giant pop up that appears when viewing his site is somewhat annoying. I agree the advertising is getting aggressive, similar to Kai Winkler, but not quite as bad.

Looking at the badges (bottom left and bottom right) I can't see anything obvious that marks these out as fakes but it's my understanding that a suspicion exists about the M1/14 MM having been used by the fakers. To my knowledge there is no proof for this as yet but the suspicion remains and therefore M1/14 shooting badges tend to be avoided. More than happy to be corrected on that if I'm wrong.

Thankyou Garry. But this is a little flimsy or? A badge is under general suspicion because some fakes have been found with that maker's mark "M1/14"? Or is there some other charackteric that allows us to see the difference between fake M1/14 and real M1/14? Jo might give us the answer?

Flimsy ... fantasy :)

Thankyou Garry. But this is a little flimsy or? A badge is under general suspicion because some fakes have been found with that maker's mark "M1/14"? Or is there some other charackteric that allows us to see the difference between fake M1/14 and real M1/14? Jo might give us the answer?
Hi Trommeller.
Afraid you have misread my post. Nothing is under general suspicion - three of the badges, are outright fakes!
There are not "some fakes have been found with that makers mark.." there are no shooters marked with this number, and thats just it. (to be fair, there are no hj shooters observed to date, marked with this number that are genuine) There are a few fantasy numbers on these, naturally of real makers who did make small badges. M1/123 is one, M1/14 is another, and although Christopher Ailsby continually publishes (in-print & online) that M1/66 made DJ and HJ badges, they could not possibly have. All those markings are fake as well, or fantasy if you will.

These badges have been dealt with many times before, so it`s not that i dont want to help you, i just dont want to go around in circles thats all. Yes i know many who own a M1/14 marked HJ badge say it`s real, like i said, Ailsby has no problems even publishing this - it`s all cobblers though (along with most of what Ailsby says,writes, prints, publishes)

In The Party Badge Book, i showed a fake M1/14 Parteiabzeichen in detail, and compared it to a genuine M1/14 parteiabzeichen. For those wishing to carry on with in-depth research, (or who are unclear why these M1/14 shooters are fake) i would suggest they do the same with these. Find a genuine small badge from the same area marked M1/14, and compare it to these. The material used, the way it was made, the way the tooling that made it was made, the enamel etc etc....
It`s a well known dud, as are the M1/123 marked badges, M1/66 and many of the M1/63 marked badges as well.

If you, or others who are not really up to date with whats real or not, fancy these M1/14 shooters, then i suggest you check the low-ball places like eBid, ePier and Co. and you`ll be able to pick one of these up for a few dollars.

Here is an icollector combo-pack sold for 75 USD:

:thumbup1:

Attachments

More fleecing going on on the craig gottlieb meet-n-fleece-platform.
900 nicker for this P:O:S :swiss

Attachments

I read a post on the WAF forum by a dagger guy calling out most of the daggers as messed with or humped up in the last auction. I don't know if that's true or just more C.G. whipping as usual, but that rally knife is junk.

Back