HJ Meisterschütze M1/63

Thanks Received
You don't have permission to view attachments.

What do you think about this HJ Meisterschütze?
The Backside is rubbed and no longer gold!

Attachments

Other with one of silver

Attachments

What do you think about this HJ Meisterschütze?
I think both are reproductions.
If the base metal used was correct - messing - and if it were correctly fire gilded, then if it did "wear off", you wont be seeing silver underneath it, but the same you see on GPBs - messing.
Without reverse images nothing can be said, apart from the above. Could be a genuine silver that some clown spayed gold.

Hi Jo!
Thank you for your opinion!
I'm not sure, unfortunately, in this piece!
The back looks to me as if it were made of zinc and the gilding has passed. But there are pore-like pits recognizable resembling a cast piece. Unfortunately I have not the best feeling. It will therefore remain a dubious piece!
Regards, Gerold

Attachments

Thank you Jo !
Are you really sure?
Could you give me a hint, where I can buy a real Meisterschützen? You do not have one to sell? I am seeking for a long time after an original!
Regards, Gerold

Thank you Jo !
Are you really sure?
Could you give me a hint, where I can buy a real Meisterschützen? You do not have one to sell? I am seeking for a long time after an original!
Regards, Gerold
No sorry i cant. To be honest, the "market" is flooded with fake golden shooter badges, and collectors as well as dealers have no real idea what original is or not. The fake M1/102 (silver and gold) are still being sold as original, the fake M1/120 golden shooters are being sold as original for 200-800 depending..... no real research has ever been done on them. It is just one of many badges that needs detailed study.

My goodness! what disappointing news! I'm also looking for one of these badges!

Best advice is to stay away from these Meisterschützen. Like you said: noboday knows which ones are good and which ones are bad. Also remember this is a extremely rare award while the market is floaded with so called good ones.

Regards, Wim

Yesterday this piece came in the mail from Hamburg! Weitze was the dealer. I hope that is one of the rare originals! I have livelong warranty! Please give me your opinions!
Thanks, Gerold

Here in comparison with the other one from me:

Attachments

I cant quite see anything from the obverse image, is it supposed to be gold?
At this early stage with blurred obverse image i would say fake.

Hello Jo!
Thank you for your statement! Is this Pic better?
It is very difficult to make better pic!

Attachments

No that picture is worse.
Here is another from Weitze, also a fake.

Attachments

Fake1?

Fake2?

Attachments

Fake1?

Fake2?
Hi, not sure i understand this post? Start off by trying to take a good clear image of the actual item. I doubt anyone is going to say anything just on these two, unclear images :-( What could they say?
If things are not clear, you are not going to get a clear answer.

Hi Jo,

I remember reading that sunken enamel inside the rings is a bad sign. Sounded like collector lore to me but have you seen it on genuine enamel badges?

Hi Jo,

I remember reading that sunken enamel inside the rings is a bad sign. Sounded like collector lore to me but have you seen it on genuine enamel badges?

I only have a fake of this badge right now, but from what i can see if i look at the badge from the side, is that the outer edging is the same hight as the surface of the "target" - the rings filled with black enamel.
So thinking about actually making it, firing the black and taking it out of the oven, it would not really be possible to give the obverse a good polish as it is with normal badges with no wreath or border...
If you did, you would no doubt "hit" the wreath edging. So i would think that it would have been normal practice to fill the obverse carefully with black enamel, and just fire it without polishing down. i.e: making sure you didn't just slap more black on than was necessary. Maybe a small amount of polishing after would be possible, but you don`t have the playroom to polish it down to the same level as you do on others - Parteiabzeichen etc, or anything without a border.

I have never heard that before about the sunken black, but it wouldn't bother me in the least to see it - or not. Even on badges with no border to get in the way of polishing, we see many times that the badge was just filled with enamel, fired and then sold. Sometimes there was not enough enamel used and small parts of the rohling are still visible that the enamel didn't cover, and sometimes too much was used and it was not polished off completely...
I would first look at other things, and not even consider the enamel. Unless of course i had it, then i would certainly have a look at it under the scope and see what was going on, but would still not use the enamel as any indicator on it`s own, that the item was not good - or good.

Clear images are what is needed, and that is possible today with a good camera for under 100 bucks.
What would be interesting to hear, is why Weitze thought it was original.. if the buyer would ask the people that sold him the item, we could take it from there. That would also give us a good idea as to what people like the comp. of Weitze are using to reach their conclusions.

I found the original images Weitze used to sell the badge in question here, not much better either BUT, the wear and tear is the major flag for me.
The obverse shows heavy use, with the outer edging on the wreath worn down (right around the badge in an evenly distributed manner) and the base metal showing through, yet the reverse does not show anything close to normal wear and tear, and certainly not the wear and tear that would correspond with the heavy obverse usage.
The reverse shows "chunks-plates" of gold that have flaked off, another flag for me, as this is just not how fire-gilding wears off. We can compare the HJ gold and NSDAP Ehrenzeichen to these, as they would have been finished in the same manner, fire-gilded.
I would not have bought this badge, and am of the opinion that it is fake.

Attachments

Back