collectors guild should know better III

Thanks Received
here we go again this is becoming an ongoing item, just checked their site now and they have sold a red distinguished foriegners badge as mentioned by jo in another thread, also a nice FAKE 1944 gausieger, they have also sold a nice cased gausieger except for the fact the case is definetly not for this badge even though they say in their description :

complete with original scarce, cardboard storage box.

and they also just sold a brown hj distinguished for $895?????? now its either another fake and they know it or they are really stupid as they sold the fake red one for more than that lol, so they should know how much these badges go for

Admin Edit: pictures added

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I'm sure I read somewhere that he uses the item descriptions given by the consignor Stu. If that is true it seems like the 'perfect' get out clause really doesn't it?. Let the consignor take the responsibility for the item description. Host the sale on your site and simply pocket your profit.

does seem a bit convenient, thanks for posting the pics gar i can never sort out how to get them off his site, can you get the pic of the brown distinguished badge he sold for $850 too, would love thoughts on that

Here you go Stu.

As you say, the red goes for more than the brown. For me it's clear that he considers both to be dodgy.

Attachments

the red goes for more than the brown....
Not quite true, good old Charlie will do you all three versions for 799.- :001_tt2:

Quote: Peter Whamond (The Collector's Guild)
If you're looking for a solid, traditional auction house that is reliable, doesn't sell junk, and stands behind their items FOR LIFE, check out Peter's catalog. He's been in the hobby for 25 years, and publishes both an on-line catalog and a paper catalog.

I have sent a link to PETER on this thread he normally takes this very seriously so will be interested in any reaction . One thing for sure if the buyer wakes up he will get a refund

:canada1

This is getting to be a real worry. Trust no one, X-Files style :sad:
Trust yourself, and your gut feeling. After a few years, and reading the forums, checking up on names you get a basic overview of who is Bad, good, who makes honest mistakes, and who does it on purpose. Any dealer, who insists on selling everything from badges through to uniforms etc, will trip up sooner or later. Nobody knows it all, but together, we know a lot.

Any dealer, who insists on selling everything from badges through to uniforms etc, will trip up sooner or later.

Agreed Jo. I study HJ cloth insignia in depth, but as for badges, knives, and that sort of stuff I know very little. I can't even imagine trying to be good at all aspects from all branches.

I know that we debated about this maker a few months ago, and although we know know that there was such a maker, we still dont have any proof that he made HJ badges... :

Attachments

Last edited:
here is the reply from PETER at COLLECTOR'S GUILD. he IS ALSO ASKING FOR MORE DETAILED INFO ON THESE BADGES SO COULD YOU PLEASE INFO HIM DIRECTLY AND OR POST HERE.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the e-mail.

Can you please e-mail the info as to what make these examples bad?

-In the meantime I’ll e-mail both the buyers and original owners of these items to let them know that there may be a problem with the badges.

-Also, if you cloud please ask Stuart to forward me more information on the case he mentions it would be much appreciated.

Please always e-mail me anytime you see an error like this so I can take corrective action. I don’t pretend to know everything, and don’t mind learning if I have missed something.

When your time permitspawmac@nbnet.nb.ca

Mmmm... Even if he doesn't know about this forum there are others where he could have asked beforehand... Did you send him a link to the thread Paul?

I don't view his response as positive in the slightest- Taking something back is the easy option. What if Paul hadn't got in touch with him?

true it most likely would have slipped through Garry and a couple folks would have gotten ripped off. But in this case we have a favourable reaction which is to say the least very rare so credit where due IMO

true it most likely would have slipped through Garry and a couple folks would have gotten ripped off. But in this case we have a favourable reaction which is to say the least very rare so credit where due IMO
And seeing as they stand behind their items for LIFE, there should be no problem when other fakes and fantasy items they have sold get published somewhere, and scores of people start knocking on his doors for a refund. I have screen grabbed so much from his site over the years...... rubbish, fantasy..... beginners mistakes really....
If he sells them on Purpose, is anyone's guess, and not really relevant, seeing as he stands behind them for life, and he is quite young now, so i gather he will be around for the next 30 years at least.

I don't know for sure if he sells "iffy" or fake items purpousely or just makes mistakes. I have returned an item once over a year after I had purchased it, and he had no problems taking the item back. I've watched his site and not seen it relisted in any updates. I'm not defending him or his buisness practices, just sharing an experience I've personally had with the site.

As some of you know I deal with this site and in fact sell on it. From this point of view I have had PETER return perfectly good items because it did not pass his personal test be it black light or burn test. I know he does take a personal interest and like LAKESIDE GETS SOLD A basket of horse muffins once in awhile by the so called expert out there. I still will deal with both Lakeside and Peter because they do mean well and take responsibility for their mistakes in a timely manner .

Hi Paul,
I agree with you Paul, it is rare that a militaria dealer recognize his mistakes. For some merchants, we can never get a refund. So what about the scums that will provide a so-called certificate of Authenticity. It is the ice on the cake ... !

Back