Hitler Youth standard bearer gorget from Bann 355 Ahr

Check this thread for more info on that Joe: http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f1...ler-youth-standard-bearer-patches-gorget-526/ The number of Bann/Jungbann standard bearer patches made was actually a lot less than one might think and this was due to the way they were distributed which is explained in the above link.

I made a mistake in an earlier post which I'll correct here: there was one standard bearer gorget per Bann which in 1942 meant that there were less than 1000 gorgets in use (I incorrectly stated earlier in the thread that the gorget was worn by both the Bann and the Jungbann standard bearers - it wasn't. The gorget was only worn by the Bann standard bearer).

I'm unsure whether the Reichsbanne had a gorget or if gorgets were worn by the dutch Banne so I can't give an exact number. Less than 1000 though and very probably closer to 900.

There were new Banne created after 1942 but as this was more of an administrative measure (a reaction to the war and the demands placed on the command system) I doubt whether the number of gorgets increased after 1942.

even if there was only 900 you would expect more to show up than what does i only know of 1 and thats at the start of this thread,in 39 there where only 500 reichssiegers awarded but you see them turn up occasionaly and know of quite a few in collections

After 1942, the manufacturing is sharply stopped because of budgetary restrictions of the war.......
and especially after the disaster of Stalingrad !.

hj

Hm i have started to put pictures in my album take a look regards tomas (railhouse)

Don't forget that the various schools also had gorgets. I have seen one with AHS letters in the scroll instead of the Bann number. I have also seen a cased one in mint condition. However, as we Hitler Youth collectors are after the gorget and gorget collectors are after one, the competition is huge. It took me over ten years to locate mine.

My Gorget

Here's mine:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Old thread and posts, but interesting. Yes, Garry is right when he said that only the flag
bearer for the Bann-flag was allowed to wear one. Jungvolk wasn't allowed at all.
But as usual you will find a lad from the DJ wearing it. It will be in my coming TR book
about gorgets.

Do not forget that the HJ was the only organization that had matching numbers with the
ribbon upon the gorget, the number for the arm-patch and the number as for the Bann-flag.

Much of the information I told about in an article, which as published in the German
Militaria-magazine in about May 2008. A sort of "try-out" for my further gorget-plans.
The HJ chapter will be quite large and will include about 85 photographs and images,
due to the fact that in this book - when a gorget is being use by a flag or standard bearer
also the type of flag is shown (or standard), so collectors know to which type of flag the
gorget was used.

Hello

Nice picture of a flag bearer (Weitze) :

Attachments

Bann 516 flag bearer gorget (H.Historica auction)

Attachments

Back