Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    THANKS DARRIN I hate it when folks slam something and do not give reason why

Yes I do also Paul. One reason people are guarded about information on this badge is that the fakes are very well made in many cases and it's sufficiently scarce that not many have actually seen a good one.

I have informed PETER on the problems

Here's a side by side comparisson of a good version of a Wittmann badge on the right and the badge at the Guild on the left. There are differences if one looks very closely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Please login to view user info
    is there only one maker poroduce this award?

Please login to view user info
    Quote Originally Posted by Gefolgschaft View Post
    Here's a side by side comparisson of a good version of a Wittmann badge on the right and the badge at the Guild on the left. There are differences if one looks very closely.
    agreed most easy one is on the k in the word ski on the left badge from CG the inner points are almost square whares the black and white image to the right has sharp points like the inner corners of a triangle,.

there where two makers of this badge and apparently this one may be good. Here is a reply I just got from the Guild

Hi Peter:
    Yes, that badge is, in my opinion, original.

It's a really nice piece. The badge was produced by two different manufacturers, the Wittmann one you have and F.Hoffstätter in Bonn. The two badges are almost identical, but there is a slight and barely noticeable difference in the curvature of the upper tips of the skis of badges made by the two manufacturers.

The side by side is a good Wittmann and the one from the Guild. If he's happy selling it as original then good for him. Not one I would want. Compare the two side by side in the photo. Clearly there are differences to my eyes. The multiple strikes on the reverse are also something I do not like at all. If somebody buys this and is happy with it then good for them. Just not for me, IMO it's not a good Wittmann for the reasons stated.

Here's a Hoffstater for comparison. The badge at the Guild looks like a combination of features from both badges to me, just my opinion.

Edit: There are more differences than the ski tips. Look at the diamond on the Hoffstater. The swas arms are very thick compared to the Wittman, for one.
    Last edited by Gefolgschaft; 16th February 2011 at 02:30 AM.

Here are photos of both maker marks, niether has the mulitiple "Ges Gesch" striking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gefolgschaft View Post
    THERE are many quality differences for sure in the striking .
    Appreciate you going into such detail on this

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast