Thanks Received
The Honor Badge of the NSD-Studentenbund (Ehrenzeichen des NSDStB)9 march 1934

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Another example of where the Military Advisor has gotten it wrong. Vol 18 NO 3 2007, there is an Article about the Honor stickpin of the NSD-Studentenbund by Clyde Davis. it’s a good article in general about the rarest Honor award of the Third Reich. The Author admits to only knowing of 2 examples to date, both of which are featured in the Article along with 7 in wear pictures.

To keep this brief and in context, the item is question is very rare, and the vast majority of collectors have no idea that it exists or/and have never seen one. To my knowledge, and that of those who I know have been collecting the same items as I have, there are less than 10 known examples either in collections or passing through the net. (not counting the three zinc known examples)

For those interested in the History behind these, you can order the Magazine in question for $5.- through the Bender website. My intention here is to clear up a few mistakes and untruths that were printed. With an award as scarce as this is, it does not help to have an Article published on them, containing assumptions and opinions that will be used later on as definitive proof (which is usually what happens)

It was produced in two different styles. (quote from page 31 of the MA article) This claim has been made because the Author had two different example for his article, and had indeed only ever seen these two. There is nothing to support the claim that they were available in a stickpin form, and with a normal pin catch. The normal pin catch in question belongs to a Zinc badge which we will address in the following post.

The amount awarded has been set at over 3000, according to Dr Klietmann and supported by the number found on the back of the Zinc badge used for the MA article, № 3965. (this has happened before with the rare HJ oak leaf border badge when Nimmergut used the engraved number found on the back of a fake BM/122 badge to substantiate his claim that at least 400 must have therefore been awarded)

It is true that a possible 7050 people were eligible for this award (quote: verorndnungsblatt des Reichsstudentenführer) But as we know from other awards, the Golden Party Badge for example, 100,000 were “eligible” for that, but only around 22,000 actually received it. The fact that there are less than 10 of these known to exist points towards a much lower number actually being awarded.
Each badge bore an incused serial number on the reverse, but was otherwise unmarked. (quote from page 31 of the MA article) This is indeed a profound claim from someone who has only ever seen and inspected two of these, it is also incorrect. There are examples known that show only an engraved serial number (which in my opinion are Authentic and most likely made by Ferdinand Hoffstätter) there are also examples known to me, and other German Dealers that show not only the serial number, but also the name of Deshler & Son in Müchen. A name that we should hope to find on these, when we consider other High class Honor Stickpins. The SS and SSFM honor stickpins for example, where Deschler held the sole contract for them.

One such example of a Deschler marked Honor pin is for sale at the moment on André Hüskens website for €1500.- (in bad condition with a cut-off stickpin) This bears the № 2624. There are another two examples of Deschler marked Honor pins that I am aware of, one was sold in 2002 by Nordheide versand, № 2018, the other is owned by me, and has the № 2530

It is not even pictured in many modern collector references. (quote from page 31 of the MA article) This is also just not true. The first Reference work that we find this badge in dates back to 1977 (page 27 of Brüggemann-Rowedder-Deutschland im Spiegel seiner Abzeichen) and then in each and every Hüsken catalog right up until 2010. I suppose that Collectors references could be interpreted differently, but for me, small Reference books on Organizational Badges are, collectors references.

The Zinc badges. What you are going to read now, is a guess, and is just my opinion. I don’t like them one bit, and I will show you why in the following post. Of the three known at present, the numbers are all suspiciously similar, 3999, 3965, 3699. I have only been able to get good-ish pictures of one of them, that sold on an Austrian Website (price unknown) and when this is compared with the Deschler, and unmarked (possibly Hoffstätter) examples, they are very different. I notice sloppy work, either casting errors or die errors in many places, as well as the strange pin plate, which I would normally associate with a post war production, and which I have indeed observed on post war Deschler marked badges as well.

The numbers that we have so far of (Hofftätter) and Deschler badges are listed below, these also concur with period documents that have been for sale on the Weitze website in 2005 and 2011, noting that certain Pgs were authorized to wear the NSD-Honor needle. (namely numbers in the 1000 and 2000s)

Make of the Zinc badge what you will, I cant prove they are fake, and that’s not my intention either. Very little is known about them in General, but to write an Article on them using only two badges, those being the only 2 that you have ever seen, it is not correct to make claims based on the numbers observed without at least taking a much closer look at a few examples side by side, and using what little period facts we have, as mentioned above, Jörg Nimmergut did this before, and fell flat on his face after.

Known serial numbers: (from Forum threads/Private collections)
№1153 - serial number only
№826 - serial number only
№1717 - serial number only
№1859 - serial number only
№1904 - serial number only
№2530 - Deschler & Sohn, Müchen 9
№2624 - Deschler & Sohn, Müchen 9 (André Hüsken)
№2018 - Deschler & Sohn, Müchen 9

Attachments

Hoffstäter, Deschler... and the Zinc badges.....

The thumbnail to the left shows the usual form observed on the otherwise unmarked badges with serial numbers. (credits-WAF thread)The picture to the right, is my Deschler marked badge as pictured above. When enlarged and compared, they are the same, same size, same form. There are slight differences with the attachment and attachment placement grove, but apart from that, identical. The zinc badges are quite different.
To date i know of three zinc versions, their numbers being; 3999;3965;3699. As mentioned above, the pin plate is a big worry to me on these, as well as the die flaws and general look. The thumbnail below best explains what my concerns are with these versions.

This picture consists of the Zinc badge to the left, compared to the version being sold by André Hüsken now, which is also the same as mine, and the otherwise unmarked serial numbered badges known. The thumbnail attached to this post shows the obverse and reverse of the mentioned zinc badge that was sold by an Austrian Dealer.
!! Any and all comments Welcome :yo:!!

Attachments

Concerning the funny Zinc badge with odd pin plate ie. not on a stickpin .. in the 1940 Die Ehrenzeichen des Deutschen Reiches, the following is said.
Das abzeichen wird als Anstecknadel getragen ! (The badge is worn on a stickpin.)

Attachments

Damn! Missed this one first time around obviously. Thanks Jo. Very informative! :thumb:

I suppose Anstecknadel could mean just a normal pin as the one above has, and not only a stickpin. BUT, that attachment plate is from the DDR times, and that badge, is cast for sure no doubt.
The high number, almost into 4000 is really also a big alarm bell!

I since found another in-wear image, taken from the book pictured.

Attachments

NSD Studentenbund Silberne Ehrennadel

Gentlemen,

here the result of 25 years of searching. The fact that my grandfather was one of the recipients started this quest. More here: Hansgeorg Lopatta.

The pins seen here are the only ones I have seen in detail. The lot represents 3 different dies. I missed 2 that I knew off during that time, that ended up in other collections unknown to me.

Enjoy.

Attachments

Last edited:
Lovely pins, but you have a fake. The cast zinc badge with regular brooch attachment, is a possible fake. (Numbered 3000 something) Much better images of that are needed. The others are all from Hoffstätter.

Here a better picture of the brooch version. Not sure if it is zinc, yet the bubbled silver coat may be a sign of that. Same weight then the others as far as I recall. Will weigh later. Could it be possible that the numbers do not coincide with the actual matriculate number of the student enrollment and were given out consecutively based on applications?
The higher number 3000 and up would have been created towards the end of the war which would be a zinc based badge.
The badge here being the lowest number in this design so far does not show the flaws as much as the one published here earlier.

Attachments

Last edited:
Here the side by side of the other two different versions. Very apparent is the smaller size, but also the lack of the featuring in the background between the oak leaf wreath and the enameled insert.

Attachments

The higher number 3000 and up would have been created towards the end of the war which would be a zinc based badge.
The badge here being the lowest number in this design so far does not show the flaws as much as the one published here earlier.
Can`t agree with that at all. These kinds of items will not be in zinc, or in a mix as yours is. Messing HJ router and zinc planchet. If any were produced in the 1940`s at all, then they will be the same as the others that were made by Deschler and Hoffstätter.
We have citations into the 2000`s.. but so far nothing in the 3000 range at all? or are there?

Yours is the same as the one i hosted (not mine) 100%.

A pity i never made any micro images of mine... these would make for a great study at some time. But i guess we would really need macro images to get conclusive answers, and it is such a small item.

Attachments

Let me also post a better image of the certificate for those pins. This one is to Arnold Schmidt in Neustadt a.d. Weinstr. for number 2287, I also have one for number 1431 to Franz Oskar Grimm in Munich, in case somebody has the actual pins.

Attachments

Can`t agree with that at all. These kinds of items will not be in zinc, or in a mix as yours is. Messing HJ router and zinc planchet. If any were produced in the 1940`s at all, then they will be the same as the others that were made by Deschler and Hoffstätter.
We have citations into the 2000`s.. but so far nothing in the 3000 range at all? or are there?

Yours is the same as the one i hosted (not mine) 100%.

A pity i never made any micro images of mine... these would make for a great study at some time. But i guess we would really need macro images to get conclusive answers, and it is such a small item.

The one in my collection seam to be of better quality then the one pictured. The flaw to the top right is minor and the leaf tip shows 3 dots rather then the blob. By no means will I claim it must be original or fake, but the quality is a lot better. Also the brooch is of a quality that I have not seen on any fake, but I am not the expert here, as this is just a side collection of mine. Also the certificate I have for number 2287 was issued in 1938. Certainly for a brass based badge. Were badges still issued later during the war, during the zinc times? I see your point about not having seen a certificate with numbers over 3000 yet.

Last edited:
New arrivals, one good one potentially bad.

Attachments

The Deschler is really nice, I`ve only had one of those before.. The so-called Hoffstätter, well I don`t know.. seems OK, but never had one in-hand to inspect. And over the years, know now full well that you`d really need to have it in-hand and be able to inspect it correctly, to be 100% sure. I do know that the so-called Hoffstätters are accepted by most as genuine, though. I can`t see any real problems with them myself. Why do you think one is no good?

The Hoffstätter weights 3,13 g the Deschler only 1, 39 g, looks like cupal.

I was a little apprehensive on the Deschler, as the number is 3293. Never seen a real one with a number above 3000.

The Hoffstätter weights 3,13 g the Deschler only 1, 39 g, looks like cupal.

I was a little apprehensive on the Deschler, as the number is 3293. Never seen a real one with a number above 3000.
Yet you showed us one two years ago with the number 3402 ?

The 3402 is in line with the one you posted as fake. I do believe now that you are right. This new Deschler pin confirms it indirectly.

Not sure I follow you?
Are you saying that the Deschler pin is fake?

No, I believe that both are OK. I was just hesitant because of the high number. But based on your confirmation (two set of eyes see more then one) I am OK with the Deschler pin. I never had a problem with the so called Hoffstaetter type, as I got two of mine directly from the family.

Well I think the only reason I called it the so-called Hoffstätter, was because the numbers struck into the reverse are really similar to those on the Hoffstätter-made SS civil pins.. Not really sure now.. but I think that`s where the name Hoffstätter comes from. The Deschle rpins you never really see at all. the zinc ones yes, and always hig numbers.. really high, like into the 4000`s. I know I only mention 3999 in post 1, but have since seen more, one even marked into the 5000`s.
This is a subject I forgot about over the years but still like these, and it would serve well to research these properly. i.e: take much better images of all versions.

Back