Opinions on this badge: 6. Winterkampfspiele Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1941

Thanks Received
This one i got from a Norwegian auction site this week. It is the second badge like this to be sold here in Norway this month, and one is said to have been fond in the belongings to a former Norwegian frontfighter.
The other badge similar to mine, was found with a Jugendstorm pin and a REX rally badge. (ive managed to purchase them as well; both nice original ones).

I have been looking for information on these for some time but without any luck, and hope that anyone here knows this HJ badge.
Any help on this one will be much appreciated! :001_smile:

Best regards
Gunnar

Admin edit. Pictures here: http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f55/hj-kampfspiele-badge-opinions-1730/index2.html#post24728

Nobody knows this badge? :confused:
I have since i first posted this one here and on WAF, been able to find some more information about the original owner and a written reference from an official NS(Quisling party) publication that several Norwegian NSUF boys were participating in this event/competition and also a total of 4 girls from the NS Womans Hird.
Any comments greatly appreciated.:001_smile:

Best regards
Gunnar

Gunnar

I am surprised there has been no feedback !

It looks like a very nice badge I I would like to know more about it also :)

Anyone out there who can comment?

Nick

Lazarus

I have spoken to a forum member who has one and he thinks it it a good one and rare :thumbup1:

Good luck

Nick

Thanks Nick :001_smile:

I will try to put forward the provenience that i have found regarding this badge later this weekend.
In my mind it is no doubt that this is a rather uncommon original piece and i will share the information that i have found for you to make up your opinions...good :thumbup1: or bad. :thumbdown:

Best regards
Gunnar

So lets see what i have found out so far about these badges. :001_smile:

The first time i encountered these was on a Norwegian auction site in October were this badge (picture one) was put up on auction.
In the auction text it was stated that it came from a lot of badges belonging to a Norwegian front fighter.
There was also 2 other badges from the same lot that were put up on separate auctions (picture 2), and i was lucky enough to be able to by these, but the HJ badge was to expensive for me and i didn’t manage to by that one.

Since i managed to by the Jugendstorm pin and the Rex badge(booth very nice originals by the way), i was able to contact the seller of these and the HJ badge, and i now have the full information on the former owner (name, adress some history and so on...He died in 2008).
He was a member of the NS party/NSUF and a former Norwegian Front fighter.
The badges were put up for sale on the auction site by the widow with help from a friend of the family.

Later the same month a similar badge was put up for auction on another auction page here in Norway, and this time i was lucky enough to be able to by it. (Badge in the first post.)
These badges are identical but mine has a lovely patina that is lacking for the most part on the first badge.
I contacted the seller of my HJ badge for information about it, but the only thing he would tel me was that it was found in the belongings to a close relative after he died.
It is still regarded as a shame by many here i Norway to have been a member of the NS party and its organisations during the war...
The price i paid for the badge was very modest.

So why does suddenly 2 of these pop up for sale in Norway? (i have later learned of a third badge that came out of Norway as well, and are in another collection here in Scandinavia.)

The first place i started to look for information about these and the competition they were made for, was of cause the Internet.. :laugh:
Not to much information to be found but enough to firmly establish in my opinion that the competition these were made for, were held.

Among the references is this book about Artur Axmann:
Verlag Bublies

Under the chapters about his war service: "Die Kriegszeit", i found this reference:

"1941: Aufbau in den neuen Gebieten - In Norwegen - Vidkun Quisling - Winterkampfspiele der HJ mit europäischer Beteiligung"

I have also found an identical badge to mine on the net in what seems to be a Danish collection:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

http://www.moonwheel.eu/HJ-Pins/index.htm

From the same collection; a postal stamp from the event. Please notice the striking similarity with the badge:
http://www.moonwheel.eu/HJ-Cancels/index.htm

There is probably a lot more information about this event to be found on the net but this is some i have found so far.

And then...so why does these badges show up in Norway?
The answer to that is simple...because a contingent of NSUF (Norwegian HJ) was participating in the event.

I have found a reference to this in the period printed book NS Årbok 1942 (NS Yearbook 1942). This book is one of the main sources of information about the NS party during the war, and also extensively used by authors like for instance David Littlejohn when he published the first volume of "Foreign Legions of the third Reich".

Here are the actual text in Norwegian: " I 1941 begynte idrettsarbeidet i Ungdomsfylkingen å utfolde seg for alvor. I april ble de første vinterlekene avholdt på Lillehammer, og NSUF hadde senere en avdeling nede i Tyskland som deltok i Ungdommenes Vinterolympiade i Garmisch"

Please also look at the 2 pictures of the book in this post; first one is of the front page, and second one of the actual page with the reference.

This is all ive got at the moment, but im waiting for some more information about the Frontkjemper and his service during the war, from the widow.

I’m pretty sure there are some more information about the NSUF participation in this event in the period newspapers here in Norway; like "Fritt Folk" and others, maybe also pictures of NSUF boys wearing this badge or even pictures of the badge it selves.

If i manage to find more information later i will post it here. :001_smile:

Best regards
Gunnar

Attachments

Now this is a collector/historian who does his homework .
Bravo kamerade .

Great and fascinating work Lazarus :thumbup:

You are the proud owner of an amazing piece of HJ history :)

I will be following your story with great interest!

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for replies :001_smile:
I will try to find more information later on.
A fellow collector here in Norway, has a complete collection of the wartime issues of the newspaper "Fritt Folk" and if i can get some help from him, that would be a good place to start looking for more information and maybe pictures.

best regards
Gunnar

THE PIN ASSEMBLY ARE PERIOD, and the reason you get very little feedback on these enameled ski badges is they are widely reproduced out of AUSTRIA. Yours looks very period made

PAUL

Thanks Garry and Paul :001_smile:
I will be looking for further information in the wartime Norwegian papers, but in the meantime, here is the 1941-03-05 - Die Deutsche Wochenschau Nr. 548 with live pictures and comments from the event in Garmisch.
If you look closely at the beginning you will see the Norwegian flag among the 12 others from participating countries.

Internet Archive: Free Download: 1941-03-05 - Die Deutsche Wochenschau Nr. 548 (Auszug)

(At the end of the film). ;)

Best regards
Gunnar

Last edited:
And then....a little picture..:001_cool:
I haven’t been able to search the period newspapers yet, but i stumbled upon this nice period picture of a GSSN soldier (Germanske SS Norge). in David Littlejohns first volume; Foreign Legions og the Third Reich. :w00t:
The picture is most likely taken from a period newspaper due to the low quality.

Best regards
Gunnar

6. Winterkampfspiele Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1941
National Congres REX Lombeek 10.7.38
Nationale Jeugdstorm

The pics are deleted so i upload them again. :001_smile:

Best regards
Gunnar

Attachments

Thanks Paul:001_smile:
It surprises me that this badge is not well known from before...there was a large participation from many different countries in this event, and i would guess that these were given out to the contesters?

Best regards
Gunnar

Thanks Gefolgschaft :001_smile:
If i find more information about these i will present it in this tread.

Best regards
Gunnar

6. Kampfspiele Garmischpartenkirchen 1941 HJ.

Dear all,

I would first of all like to say hello, as im new on this forum!

I refer to the discussion started by Gunnar, Kampfspiele Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1941

(HJ).

I can confirm that this badge must be one of the most seldom badges of all time when it comes to HJ. I have recently received one from a norwegian front fighter wich still lives, and who actually participated in this historic event in 1941. But i also got the diploma (book) wich were given together with the medal as a honour of participation.

This is extremely seldom, and i have never seen anyone wich also have the diploma/book together with the badge.

This diploma (book) contains of several pages. A welcome by Adolf Hitler, a picture of the responsible person behind the competition, a page with the participating nations, and also a page with the name of the participant and in wich sport he competed.

As additional information i can tell you that there were cross-country skiing, downhill and ski-jumping. Only 3 different competitions as far as i have found out. I will check this, because i have also got the official programme from 1941 :)

In each event there were only allowed with 5 competitors from each country. A film clip shows 12 flags from the competition, but the diploma (book) says there were 8 participating countries

ONLY participating competitors got the badge. This means that there were only made a maximum of 40 badges!!!!

Together with this post i will show you my badge, but also a page from the diploma (book).

Im awaiting feedback from you :glare:

Attachments

Back