Torf Einsatz 1943 badge ?

Here are a few good images from 1943, peat harvesting in Switzerland, just to give an idea of the work...

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

After reading all the comments on this badge , I am leaning more towards this badge either being a fantasy piece or a period made unauthorized badge .
If the Torf Einsatz had utilized boys from the 14 to 17 year age groups then in my opinion they would have been conscripted from the Landjahr . I believe the Landjahr was formed to help farmers with seasonal harvest and farming duties . However ; a badge issued for cutting peat makes no since to me .
If anything was issued it problibly would have been a certificate thanking them for there service , not a cool looking badge.

Even those HJ that volunteered for the flakhelpers . Most only got a certificate of thanks , a few were awarded the flakartillerie cloth armpatch if they seved 9 months service with the Luftwaffe and maybe 5% of flakhelfers were awarded the Luftwaffe flak badge .

It would be great to have Wims take on this "possibly" pertaining to the RAD, because there is at least period mention of the RADs involvement with this. HJ? i just dont see it really.
And i know jack Squit about the RAD really, and have no Schwerdt & Spaten papers....

No images, but asking price is €165.-

Attachments

Last edited:
Just bumping this one back up and hoping that Wim might have more in his library on the RAD angle to this badge.

Here's a badge from ebay in very poor condition. Looks like zinc pest [ Zinc pest - Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia ]

"Abzeichen aus Zink, aus dem Jahre 1943 an. Es hat einige Beschädigungen auf der Vorder-bzw. Rückseite. Wofür man es verliehen bekommen hat und vorallem zu welcher Organisation es gehört, kann ich nicht sagen. Es sind keine verbotenen Zeichen vorhanden, es sei denn, der Spaten gehört dazu."

"Badge made of zinc, from the year 1943. It has some damage on the front resp. rear. For what it was awarded, and especially to which organization it belongs, I can not say. There are no prohibited characters exist, it unless the spade is one of them."

Attachments

For those that missed the badge at Hiscolls last year in December, he has just listed another one:neth
Prices have come down by €50 as well since 2013.......

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Singing and dancing bears also make money... and monkeys that wait on tables.. i have seen that on YouTube, and can verify it !

.... i am tipping on a total fantasy creation to fool, and nothing else!

4 years later, and now that i actually have one to inspect, i can say that i was wrong, and once again the mighty microscope wins hands down!
Well produced, definitely die struck and a purpose-made shearing die created and used. Gold washed too.
As the video shows, a correctly made and honest-looking zinc badge.
The Hitler Youth connection led nowhere, not a mention. And seeing as there are no footnotes, one must assume that the old authors just inserted
"Hitler Youth" for the sake of it. RAD would also be possible, as would a number of other senarios.. "Private company produced" etc..
In any case, now that one has been under the scope, i can say with certainty that it is not a fantasy creation, and that the microscope has proved me wrong :good:
Torfeinsatz 1943 Abzeichen - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
So, badge good but dealer "what the **** is this, we need to sell it!" - wrong.

Nice :)

Attachments

Back