Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please login to view user info

war merit cross with swords

not that too exciting an item, ribbon for the war merit cross with swords, but on closer inspection its mounted on a BDM button, i thought that was of interest. pete

Attached Images Attached Images

How very strange. Period home repair?
    Last edited by PatBateman; 26th June 2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: More to add

Quote Originally Posted by PatBateman View Post
    How very strange. Period home repair?
    Could be, but whats to say its not been wore by a member of the BDM ive seen photos of some girls being issued WMC before now.

How could BDM members get a
    KVK
    with Swords? That's for combat isn't it?

Bdm worked in war related service as signalers etc and would be eligible for the cross with swords

Quote Originally Posted by PAUL AYERST View Post
    Bdm worked in war related service as signalers etc and would be eligible for the cross with swords
    indeed, war work was dangerous and lots of BDM girls served with disdinction during the
    TR
    period.

Hey not trying to take anything away from them. I just thought that people not in direct combat roles ie shooting people etc, would qualify for the one with no swords. I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by PatBateman View Post
    Hey not trying to take anything away from them. I just thought that people not in direct combat roles ie shooting people etc, would qualify for the one with no swords. I stand corrected.
    wmcws was issued to civil personnel when they where under war time duties, such as rescue, fire brigade, fire helpers, dispatch etc, and other duties were ones life might be in threat.

actually the award was even issued to uniformed soldiers in some quantity. As long as the merit was war related the swords where in effect. A civilain or soldier involved with say wood or coal production would get the award without swords

PAUL

KVK
    's rock and still widely avaliable at cheap prices! Although i just splashed out on another 6 packets with medals and a Dreschler Hoard Cartoned cased
    KVK
    1 with out swords :)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EVILMIKE; 30th June 2009 at 09:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast