1938 Reichssieger by Brehmer - badge catch type correct?

Thanks Received
This is a picture of a catch on a Brehmer 38' Reichssieger badge ... my question is did Brehmer use that type catch, all the Brehmers I have seen use a different style catch. Any and all help is appreciated.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Oops, sorry about that. Yes indeed, now that I'm looking at the right detail I do not recall having ever seen that base before on a Brehmer badge other than on their 1944 Gau and Reichssieger. Odd..

That's certainly not the normal way they were made. A catch plate is ,as far as I know, only needed for zinc based awards. A copper-alloy award (brass or tombak) doesn't need that extra surface. Early allgemeines Sturmabzeichens in brass had catches directly soldered to the reverse surface. Only when they had to use zinc as a base metal, they fixed it with a plate.

Regards, Wim

Wim, I have a couple each of 38’39’ Brehmer Kreissieger & Gausiegers and none use that type of catch plate … as you stated the zincer 44’ Gausieger badge does have a round convex catch plate. The picture in my post is of a flat round catch plate on what is supposed to be a good 38’ Reichssieger badge. It is a very expensive badge..... which could be a very expensive mistake to make.

Yes, it's certainly very odd to see that type of catch on a pre-1944 Brehmer. Do you have full pics of the badge Mike?

Gary, here is a link to badge with photos.
1938 HJ-DAF Reichssieger Badge
It looks like it is a good one, except for the catch plate. In the past when I posted one of these for advice / opinions …someone would buy it out from under me ☺. With that asking price I doubt if (if good) this one will sell anytime soon.
Mike

Just jumping in to post the pics here for discussion purposes, fair use etc. For 4000US I would think he could have done these in much better quality..

Very high price for a badge with such a badly damaged diamond and of course there's the matter of the catch base too. The enamel colour on the first pic is not promising but as I say, pics are too crappy to make a meaningfil opinion - for me anyway.

Attachments

I agree with you on all points .... also $4000.00 is about 2-1/2 times what retail should be for an original un-cased example with the enamel damage that this one has (JMHO). It will probably show up at one of the on-line auction sites.

I agree with you on all points .... also $4000.00 is about 2-1/2 times what retail should be for an original un-cased example with the enamel damage that this one has (JMHO). It will probably show up at one of the on-line auction sites.

haha, I'm sure it will. Yeah, way too high a price for a badge with issues like this.

Too expensive and very bad condition. These badges look so awesome beautiful when they are pristine.

Regards, Wim

Back