Deutsches Jungvolk cap for leaders (DJ Führermütze)

Probably Joe :thumb: I have somewhere a front view of this cap with the type of buckle without leather, like my exemplar. I will try to find the photo...

Here is a period picture of a ''leatherbuckle'' cap :

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hello

With no experience about this subject, have you references material for appreciate this particular model ?

Hi Lauri,

This cap, the "Dienstmütze der DJ Führerschaft", was introduced in 1938 (Amtliches Nachrichtenblatt 7/38 - see attachment). They were made of a lighter and better quality material and are stiffer than the HJ ski cap on which the design was based and they replaced the "DJ Führermütze" that had been introduced in 1936 (Verordnungsblatt IV/5). The DJ Führermütze was exactly the same as the DJ winter cap and the HJ ski cap but with the difference that either a silver or gold braid was added and that both were worn with the eagle instead of the HJ diamond. The two versions were worn as follows:

silver braid: worn by all Jungbannführer and higher. Also worn by all Jungbannführer (and higher) employed on the Gebiet staff.
gold braid: worn by Jungbannführer and higher working on the RJF staff.

Once the Dienstmütze der DJ Führerschaft had been introduced, many who were entitled to wear it tried to save money by simply adding silver braid to the normal HJ/DJ ski cap and there are many orders over the years telling them not to do it and to instead buy the regulation leader cap :)

Attachments

Oh yes.. did you noticed that these are allmost the same model as the so called ''SS coffee can caps''

Take a look :

SS "Coffee Can" - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

There is a big difference between the SS coffee can cap and the DJ leaders cap.
You cannot compare both: (SS) one is stiff, due to its consolidation. The DJ is not!
There is also a big difference between the flaps of both. The SS coffee can cap is
a cap in the style as the SA kepi. The DJ cap is more like a sort of mountain or
skiing cap.

Last edited:
The SS coffee can cap is a look-a-like as the style for the SA and NSKK kepi and in this form
also worn by the NSFK.

The DJ leaders cap is a look-a-like for the DJ winter-cap and HJ or DJ skiing-cap.

The drawings are from the 1938 manufacturing-regulations from the Reichszeugmeisterei.
The inner for the DJ leaders cap was in some ways consolidated. The material of the cloth was
a better quality then the winter or skiing cap.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks Garry. Very useful information. I didn't know the existence of a version with gold braid!

Model 38 version with "all metal" buckle.

Attachments

Older version.

Attachments

Hello,

I just saw these photos of this DJ leader mütze on internet. I'm not sure whether it is an original. What are your opinions? I have a doubt, it is perhaps genuine :confused1: Thanks a lot for your help.

Attachments

Other photos.

Attachments

Can anybody confirm that the DJ leader mütze in wool and cotton versions were in a dark blue color or black in color ?

Hello,

I just saw these photos of this DJ leader mütze on internet. I'm not sure whether it is an original. What are your opinions? I have a doubt, it is perhaps genuine :confused1: Thanks a lot for your help.

Nobody has an opinion on this mütze?

I dont like the buckle but it might be good , I do like the construction .......it seems to be the summer weight version also. What site has this one ?

Thanks for your opinion Joe. I'll find the site, I have to search a little.

Sorry for the double post guys but on the other thread I wa asking about the difference between the DJ Führermütze with just the silver cord around the top and the type with cord on the ear flaps too like Lauri showed in post 31 at the top of this page. I'm a bit confused about this. Who wore the type with two cords and who with just cord around the top??

As Lauri says, the type with the additional ear flap cord is the earlier version introduced in 1936 (DJ-Führermütze). In 1938 a new version called "Dienstmütze der DJ Führerschaft" with just the cord around the top of the cap was introduced.

Back