Early leader mütze

Thanks Received
Hello,

A friend of mine sent me these photos today for opinions on this cap. I have no particular opinion so if you could help me. It looks like Gebietsführer im Stabe cap :huh:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

The inside looks nice and well worn. What made me frown was the clean read band with the diamond, both in wonderfull bright condition. I would check that stiching in the back very well. If I had it in hand I would also take a second look at the clean looking RZM tag. It might be well possible that it stayed clean under the sweatband. I would compare it to other insides of sweatbands in caps of that time. At the place where the RZM tag is (or was): Did it not rub off differently there while in wear? I see no slight colour change or any other mark on the inside of the sweatband where it touched the RZM tag. I would check carefully the stiching of the tag and compare to other caps and information of that Hersteller. That is just my opinion. I know nothing about HJ caps. I would not even know it is from any other NS organisation and just altered to a HJ cap. Just my thoughts on first sight.

Thank you for your opinion on this cap Christian. I will ask for pictures without flash.

Hello Lauri,

I don't like it !. According to my informations, the chin strap must be leather for the early HJ Schirmmütze.

Last edited:
Thanks for you reply Eric. You have reason, as it is illustrated in the book "Uniformen die HJ". I find also that the material used for the construction is not correct. I prefer the caps illustrated below. Others opinions are welcome.

Attachments

Just for debate, some exceptions about the not regulated chin straps.

Attachments

January 15, 1934:
enlisted ranks and lower ranked leaders: dark-brown leather chin strap. Cloth covered visor.
Technical units did wear a black leathered visor later that year or so, but first also the cloth
covered visor;
leaders with the rank Bannführer and upwards, black leather chin-strap. Black lacquered leather visor.

So this officer cap has no chance of being authentic?

Attachments

Back