HJ leader or just a standard Winter cap (Wintermütze) with embellished eagle??

Thanks Received
Here's one for you Gentlemen: Is this a bonafide HJ leader cap or is
it a standard HJ Wintermutze with an embellished eagle after the fact?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Low level leader , the eagle was worn on the cap instead of an HJ diamond sometimes by HJ Scharführers and up.
Here's one for you Gentlemen: Is this a bonafide HJ leader cap or is
it a standard HJ Wintermutze with an embellished eagle after the fact?

Here is an example from ebay listed currently.

Attachments

Example in my collection of an original sewn bevo cap diamond on a wintermutze ...most winter caps are found with a metal HJ diamond .

Attachments

The small cloth diamond appears in the regulations in May 1940 but the RZM newsletter (RZM Mitteilungsblatt) shows that it was already being discussed in January of that year. The 1939 RZM pricelist only shows one type of cloth diamond and that was the large patch used on BDM jackets etc. So, 1940 would mark the dividing line between metal and cloth diamonds on summer caps and the winter caps. I don't think that these caps were sold with a diamond already attached but I don't have a reference to prove that either way. However, I would think it safe to assume that caps in use before 1940 will have had metal diamonds and thereafter cloth diamonds. That's what should have happened but I'm sure that it wouldn't take long to find a post-1940 photo of a boy wearing a metal badge on his cap because as we know, period photos are great for showing how the rules were not always applied or enforced.

Nice cap Joe. Rare to see these with the cloth diamond still attached :thumb:

In the Mitteilungsblatt der RZM, number 1 from January 27, 1940 (page 1), it was
indeed said that with the mentioned cap (as noted in the addendum 8.38 from April
9, 1938) the woven national eagle emblem was not to be positioned anymore. Instead
of the enameled HJ-insignia in the future the woven version (the diamond) had to be positioned.
The new insignia was only to be obtained through RZM-sources.

I think the woven version came into being in about May 1940 as the woven natioal eagle
emblem was omitted from the article-list.

Back