HJ summer sidecap wuth a very coarse fabric texture

Thanks Received
Hi,
I came across this sidecap. Seller says it is "pre 1935" - whatever this means.
I have not seen a sidecap with that coarse fabric before.
What is your opinion ?

Thanks,
Chris

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi,
I came across this sidecap. Seller says it is "pre 1935" - whatever this means.
I have not seen a sidecap with that coarse fabric before.
What is your opinion ?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

The seller is making up that story because this type of cap didn't exist for the youth prior to 1936. The light-brown sidecap was first introduced in Feb 1936 and was known at that time as "Lagermütze". You can read more about them here:

Hitler Youth HJ summer caps - when were the cloth eagle and the cloth diamond introduced?

They were made of shirt material (Hemdenstoff) and they all had the bright red cord, a cloth eagle and HJ diamond cap badge. From 1939, only lower leaders wore the eagle as explained at the above link.

Please wait for opinions from those with more hands-on knowledge of HJ caps but to me certainly, the cap he is selling does not inspire much confidence. It could be period home-made I suppose but as I say, wait for other comments.

Thank you for all this Info. Sounds like I was right with my suspicion the cap might be bad.

Does someone maybe have the original regulations about the untroduction of this cap in 1936 ?

Does someone maybe have the original regulations about the untroduction of this cap in 1936 ?

Yes, I have it. That's what I'm quoting from :thumb:

The downloads section of the forum also contains the 1936 RZM manufacturing instructions for the HJ-Lagermütze (Gold subscribers).

Of course Garry has it and can show it. The introduction was mentioned
in the Verordnungsblatt and Mitteilungsblatt der RZM!

This would be a part of the text, whenever I am able to finish one day
the volume about HJ in the series "Headgear of Hitler's Germany" (the
decision about this is in the hands of the publisher):

HJ-Lagermütze (HJ Forage Cap): 1936

A novelty in early 1936 was a new HJ cap, known as the HJ-La­germütze. This forage cap was authorized in February 1936,
but already a favorite headdress form within other organizati­ons as the SA, but also the DJ. For all it's pipings were orde­red to be bright red.
The special forces (wearing the light-blue or pink) were no exception. -*-

-*-
"Vbl.d.HJ" February, 1936, p.25. Nr.7: "HJ-Lagermütze";

This headgear was ordered for wearing within camps or when staying in a Jugendherberge (youth-hostel), but was at that moment
not allowed to be worn with other occasions and dress forms. At the HJ leaders-schools or during courses for leaders at a youth-hostel
this cap was not allowed to be worn at all. But one should note that with courses for HJ leaders within an encampment it's wearing was
connived. From this forage cap the summer-cap was developed and would become in 1938 the regular worn HJ headdress-form.
Manufacturing procedures were published simultaneously and described as: a visorless "field-cap", Tropfenförmig (drip formed ),
running pointed to the back and to be manufactured from light-brown twill. -*-

-*-
"S&S" Nr.2, February 29, 1936, p.8;

Please do not buy this , a very bad fake cap .

Back