Marine HJ cap tally (Mützenband) "16/92 Braunschweig 16/92"

Thanks Received
I just bought this mützenband from Kai Winkler a few days ago due to his sale. I thought I would post it since it indicates that Bann Braunschweig had at least two gefolgschaft numbers related to the MHJ. 16/92 has been seen on at least two MHJ tallies, one owned by Marine HJ (Daniel) on this forum and another just sold by Kai Winker during this same sale.

The tally bought by me has a metal "2" over the 16 which in hand indicates they have been there for quite some time. In addition, there would be no reason to add the "2" to the tally for any sort of gain.

Therefore I would propose that 16/92 and 2/92 were both MHJ gefolgschaft units to Bann Braunschweig and should be added to our database.

John

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks. Nothing like Dani's but I find one or two of these a year someplace. Here is a nice "Berlin" cap with tag. While Berlin has large and multiple MHJ units, due to the destruction of the city the actual tallies with the name are fairly rare.

John

Attachments

Hi John,

I start to like your good old dust collectors ... :)

Exactly right what you say: the rare appearance of items from towns like Hamburg, Lübeck, Kiel, Köln, Dresden and Berlin prove that the level of destruction and the survival of artefacts from a certain area or town are in direct relation!
With MHJ cap tallies it is even more obvious as they were already not common even during the TR, now some 80 years later the fragile pieces are even fewer.

The metall "2" on the Braunschweig tally might be explained by: a boy, who moved within the city (probably due to destructive effects of the war) suddenly had to get assigned to a different Gefolgschaft and no cap tally was available to him at this time). Sometimes the female relatives of the family hand-embroidered the new numbers into the existing "old" tally.

Wonderful pieces you have there, John. Congrats.

Rgds

Daniel

Back