Marine-HJ summer side cap (Sommermütze) worn with the "Fahrtenanzug" (camp uniform)

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
I was asked a question through PM and thought it might be of use to some of you if I posted the answer here too.

The Marine-HJ wore a side cap when wearing a uniform called the 'Fahrtenanzug' (camp uniform). It was the standard HJ summer cap but with golden yellow identification cord. After 1940 this uniform was only worn by DJ boys who were transferring to the Marine-HJ. It was introduced to allow all boys to look the same and to give them time in which to buy the full Marine-HJ uniform. The Fahrtenanzug was permitted for wear until the rest of the Marine-HJ went into winter uniform. By that time the boys were expected to have obtained the full Marine-HJ uniform.

The side cap for the revised Fahrtenanzug was the standard HJ type but with marine blue cord. The rest of the uniform was standard HJ summer uniform but with Marine-HJ straps and the sleeve patch "Sonderarmscheibe des Fahrtenanzugs der Marine-HJ" anchor patch (blue cloth disc with yellow anchor worn on the middle of the lower left sleeve).

Is this the hat. Angola said it was a 1944 pattern.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

The information on the cap relates to regulations dated 1938 to 1940 and according to those regulations the cap for the Fahrtenanzug is the standard HJ summer cap but with marine blue cord (Biese). I don't have anything on your cap Paul but its colours do make sense and because my regs stop at 1943 I can't say that such a cap was not introduced for the Marine-HJ later.

I have never seen one before . This one looks good to me , however ; I have nothing to reference it to .

i have issues with the tag being in used condition but the silk like lining beiing i such good condition, id like some better shots of the cap if possible, ive never seen any regs for such a cap but im no expert on hj regs. :huh:

I had more detailed look into this. The Fahrtenanzug (camp uniform) I mentioned above had previously included a summer cap (normal HJ style but with gold cord) and this is mentioned in the book 'Aufbau und Abzeichen der Hitler-Jugend' from 1940. 'The MHJ Fahrtenanzug is the standard HJ summer uniform but with a golden yellow cord on the cap and shoulder straps'.

In 1940 regulations were published which now meant that the previous MHJ Fahrtenanzug was now to be worn by DJ boys transferring to the MHJ only (as described in my post above). The changes were that the summer cap now had marine blue cord and that MHJ shoulder straps (blue/gold) and the anchor patch were worn.

So, there was a standard beige summer cap worn by the MHJ prior to 1940 which had a golden yelow identification cord. After the regulation of 1940 the MHJ did not wear a HJ summer cap and instead wore the standard MHJ headgear 'Dienstmütze für Mannschaften' in either the summer or winter configuration.

The old MHJ Fahrtenanzug continued to be worn by the DJ boys who were transferring to the MHJ as I said above. Standard HJ summer cap (with marine blue identification cord), MHJ shoulder straps and the MHJ anchor patch on the sleeve.

If your cap is period Paul then it must have been introduced later than 1942 or have been for a different purpose altogether.

Thanks for the replies. This cap was bought in 1983 at an antique shop for $35. It was marked Nazi cap. Paul

Hermann Historica has one of your caps Paul. It is described as being for HJ-Marinehelfer which dates these items to the beginning of 1943 when the first HJ were put into this role. Looks like your $35 was a very good investment

Attachments

interesting thread Garry was their anything similar for the Fleiger HJ? Roger

Hi Garry yes I wondered if their was a cap to go with my shirt.regards Roger

It was on the old forum don't think I've put it on here,but I will check and if not I will do.Regards Roger

I am wandering if these HJ marine overseas caps are any different than the Kreigsmarine female overseas caps with the same yellow piping ( that is besides the obvious insignias on the caps) ?

Maybe this will help. Looks like marinehelfers to me in the photos.

Standard blue cord for a marinehelfer.

However, the cap at the top has the HJ triangle and none of the marinehelfers do, they have a cockade in its place. So not sure--with the HJ triangle, the cap is probably HJ and not helfer I think.

In any case, I think the Hermann Historica description might be wrong due to the triangle and the evidence of the photos with marinehelfer. According to Angolia, page 300, Vol 1 on the HJ:

"Blue field cap: a dark navy blue field cap with HJ insignia on the front of the turn-up wa worn with the summer work uniform. The insginia could be either metal or cloth. Regulations dated 1944 specified that a gold cord would be added at the top edge of the turn-up. It was not unusual for the standard pattern navy bordmuetze with navy insignia be worn"

Well, he says the cockade could be worn, but in this case, looks like a Marine HJ cap to me and not a marinehelfer. Looks like you have a great cap!!!!
Beitzen

Attachments

Last edited:
Back