opinions please on this HJ WINTER CAP

Thanks Received
JUST SAW THIS CAP am interested if it might be a leaders quality winter cap if period at all.:canada1

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Leather or rubber around the bill, kiss of death. Civilian ski cap. I've seen a photo before of an H.J. member wearing a cap with this material around the bill. That's the only photo of one like this in wear that I have personally seen in the many H.J. photos I've looked at and owned.

If the HJ pin is good then offer the seller 50 euro for the pin and the cap all in .

There's two for sale on the collectors guild. Peter does not usually get things wrong, but it has been known :)

"HJ/DJ WINTER SERVICE CAP"

"HJ/DJ WINTER SERVICE CAP"

Admin Edit: pics added from external page to retain thread integrity should the pics be deleted from source.

Attachments

as far as I know this leather brim is not mentioned at all in any regulation.
So, I would rate to be carefull!!

I quickly checked the most important manufacturing regulations. The viso with
brim is not mentioned, as I thought! The cap looks as a regular civil skiing cap.

Here is the only photo I've ever seen with a wintermutze that has the trim on the visor or bill of the cap. Possibly a civilian cap used by an HJ member, but proving it? Next to impossible.

Attachments

Yep, as Wim says, there is nothing in the regulations about a uniform Wintermütze with peak edging like that.

The caps on Collectors' Guild are in the same category as the cap in post #1 but despite this, his first cap is described as being a "HJ/DJ Winter Service Cap" and only at the bottom of the description do the words "private purchase" appear. Nowhere does he say that the cap is non-regulation (assuming that he knows this to be the case). The second cap's buckle is wildly different to that found on a regulation cap but this time there is no "private purchase" caveat. He simply describes it as "HJ/DJ Winter Service Cap".

He says in the description for both caps that: "The Model 1937 Winter HJ/DJ Uniform was introduced in that year, and included a ski cap similar to the "Bergmütze" worn by the army". The ski cap was originally a DJ uniform item. The HJ began wearing it as part of the skiing uniform and it would be 1938 before it was incorporated into their standard winter uniform.

My bargepole would be coming out anyway but to describe these caps in this way is unhelpful.

Good that he is returning them, and that nobody spent money on them also.

Yes. The Collector Guild seems to get caught quite often doing this but seems to get excused because he's the middle man between seller and buyer. Shouldn't excuse him at all in my opinion. He's getting a cut after all.

Agree no excuse. As with any seller, be sure of the item before you buy. Take a cue from a veteran collector like Paul. Doesn't matter how long you've been at it. If something looks odd ask for opinions and evidence.

Back