Is this an original Hitler Youth HJ steel helmet?

Thanks Received
A member of an spanish forum published this helmet as original. What do you think about?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

It is often claimed, that helmets existed with HJ decals. But I have untill now, newer seen regulations for the use of HJ decals, or period photos of helmets with HJ decals.

Most helmets with HJ decals offered for sale are original helmets with added repro/fake decals, made to look old.

It is claimed that there were two types of HJ decals: a HJ diamond and a HJ diamond on a black shield. I have seen repro decals of both types.

Last edited:
I asked this same question on the Wehrmacht Awards forum and was told that this emblem set was used on the M34 helmets. I just started a thread asking about these decals here and if anyone had seen them on a helmet. I should have searched first. :lol: One must also understand that towards the end of the war they were much less strict about things like this. They had a lot more serious things to worry about.

Attachments

I'm with Henrik on this. I know of no period evidence that would support the modern claims about these helmets.

Towards the end of the war rules and regulations were pretty much out the window. And if this decal design did exist back then, it's certainly possible it found it's way on to all kinds of helmets. Remember that there were stores that sold decals and other militaria to anyone who had the cash. I'm not saying they were authorized, but if they did exist back then, they could certainly have found their way onto helmets.

From the WA forum:

Attachments

And another:

Attachments

Photographs with fire-brigade helmets with decal were published in the magazine:
Deutscher Feuerschutz. I do not know the number, but the year must have been 1941.
The on post 9 shown photograph was also shown in:
Hitler-Jugend im Feuerschutz. This was published in 1941 by the Amt fĂĽr freiwillige Feuerwehren beim Chef der Ordnungspolizei, upon an agreement with the RJF.
It appeared in Deutscher Feuerschutz, Nr. 20 from October 1940. In the booklet with about 43 pages helmets were shown without decals, the regular fire-brigade decals
and other decals. For the HY special trucks were developed, which were somewhat smaller in size.

This one and also some others were shown in Jugend im Feuerwehr-Einsatz, 1939-1945, published by EFB-Verlag, in which the photographs from October 1941 also were
included. The same photograph was also shown in Jugendfeuerwehren in Deutschland, a book written by my friend Benno Ladwig (from 1963 through 1976 he was the
Generalsekretär des Deutschen Feuerwehrverbandes), published in 1986 and also by the EFB-Verlag. In my handbook I used a close-up from the photo on page 395.

Many years ago, I think about 10-15 years, the decals were shown in a cataloque from a Belgium dealer, who only sold fakes/reproductions.

Last edited:
The decals in post #5 are readily available from many US dealers. There are also photos available of just the HJ diamond on helmets as well as being placed below the standard decals.
The helmet in post #1 appears to be an M35 helmet with the rolled rim. If it is, that's the first time I have seen those decals on a combat helmet. But it doesn't surprise me. As I said, at the end of the war there really wasn't anyone around to enforce decal regulations. This can be seen by the large number of single and double decal helmets still being worn.

Last edited:
Hi Deputy,

The only metal helmets which can be conclusively shown to have had HJ decals during the TR are the HJ fire helmets and not even that was across the board. I'm not accusing you of it but I think that we should always be wary of allowing the late-war period to act as a "catch-all" for any and all weirdness encountered today. It is going to require proof before anything meaningful can be said about the presence of HJ decals on Wehrmacht helmets.

Hi Deputy,

The only metal helmets which can be conclusively shown to have had HJ decals during the TR are the HJ fire helmets and not even that was across the board. I'm not accusing you of it but I think that we should always be wary of allowing the late-war period to act as a "catch-all" for any and all weirdness encountered today. It is going to require proof before anything meaningful can be said about the presence of HJ decals on Wehrmacht helmets.

I'm not trying to spread rumors or misinformation. I am just saying that just because you don't have photos or written regulations saying that the decals were permitted or installed, doesn't mean they WEREN'T installed. It simply means you don't have proof that you find acceptable of them being installed. Late war WAS part of the war. So you can't just dismiss it as not happening just because it won't fit into current "accepted" definitions for what was and wasn't installed. Were they authorized? Probably not. Were they installed? You can't say definitely one way or the other. I was in the US Army in Vietnam (1968-69) and the stuff that was used that was "unauthorized" or "not approved" was huge. It ranged from weapons to patches and uniform equipment. There were rules that ATTEMPTED to regulate this use, but in a combat zone, it was next to impossible to enforce. I see this same situation in Germany and pretty much every other country that was involved in wars. Soldiers in the field will do all sorts of things to keep up their morale. The refusal to remove the SS emblems from helmets after they were banned is a perfect example of this in Germany.

I'm not accusing you of anything and no offence was intended. I think I said that in the above post. I agree with you, of course, that procedures may not have been followed to the letter as the war progressed but my approach is to look at the available evidence first and I'm guessing that you are no different. Speculation always comes second to that for me. The "late-war" scenario has been abused to the point where even blatant fakes sometimes get the benefit of the doubt so I'm always wary when I hear it being bandied about in lieu of concrete information.

BEEN AT THIS SINCE THE LATE 50s, Never have seen a real HJ decal ed helmet and do not expect to. These are fodder for our HJ axe dealers and nothing more IMO :canada1

I'm not accusing you of anything and no offence was intended. I think I said that in the above post. I agree with you, of course, that procedures may not have been followed to the letter as the war progressed but my approach is to look at the available evidence first and I'm guessing that you are no different. Speculation always comes second to that for me. The "late-war" scenario has been abused to the point where even blatant fakes sometimes get the benefit of the doubt so I'm always wary when I hear it being bandied about in lieu of concrete information.

Then we are cool and in agreement. :thumb:

Let`s hope not. Welcome back, it`s been nearly 2 years .. or not?:swiss

Sad to say, but yes, it's been a while. I've had to do some major computer mods and in the process lost many of my bookmarks. Glad I got an e-mail reply from Gary that led me here. I missed this place. :bounce:

BEEN AT THIS SINCE THE LATE 50s, Never have seen a real HJ decal ed helmet and do not expect to. These are fodder for our HJ axe dealers and nothing more IMO :canada1

I have also never seen a no-hitter pitched in baseball (and I watch baseball a lot). That doesn't mean they don't exist. ;)

Back