HJ knife collection - and then there were six...

Thanks Received
My first collected piece of militaria was an HJ knife, so I guess I have a special interest in them. But, I do not collect them every time i happen upon one. The piece has to really catch my eye and interest. Condition actually means very little to me as a collector. Authenticity and uniqueness of wear actually is what draws me to a specific item.

Thanks for looking, someday I will take them all out of their scabbards and show all the maker's marks and conditions in detail. Till then, thanks for looking...

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

very nice coll,.such a great area of collecting knives aern't they,.so many different makers etc

Do you really mean, Como, that condition means little to you as a collector? Would you say no to a stone mint, unused, even RZM tagged HJ knife? Would you really prefer a used one, unique or not?

Do you really mean, Como, that condition means little to you as a collector? Would you say no to a stone mint, unused, even RZM tagged HJ knife? Would you really prefer a used one, unique or not?

Well now...I don't think I would go THAT far, my friend...haha. My only point is that I really enjoy collecting pieces that show age and use. That's all:001_smile:

I see your point, Como. Of course, well used pieces have their charm and some of them have a strong appeal for many collectors, the "been-there" look, so to say.

There are many types of collectors out there. I'm, for instance, completely the opposite of Como. I want to see the pieces I collect with the same eyes that 70 years ago the original owner looked at it when he received the award or dagger: pristine! Besides that I hate it to spend money on things that once where mass produced and now are in bad shape. If you buy an unique piece of history you have to buy it like it is: pristine, worn or heavy worn. But if you have the choice because so many were made...that's IMO a different situation. But like said: some prefer heavy used items, some prefer nicely aged and used items... there is enough for everybody's taste :001_smile:

In the case of the HJ knife I had worries for several weeks: The blade is perfect but the top of te pommel had some rusty scratches :h

Regards, Wim

Attachments

I completely agree with Wim. The thing is, I'm afraid, that I cannot always afford stone mint, "pristine" pieces, as he says.

Back