Wim Saris Collection

Yes, I do have some. Not the best colors anymore after so many years and I do not
have photographs from every year. But here some I can show:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

The first two are from 1974. This was about what I owned after four years of collecting.
Later I decided to get rid of all what was not political. This is half of the attic, but 75%
of my collection. I started collecting first Japanese samurai swords, but stopped with them
at the end of the same year, after I got four or five (can't remember) and those I liked
were too expensive!

These two are from 1977. Here I was going more and more into HJ and SA. This is
half of my room. On the other wall were showcases with daggers, headgear and orders
and decorations. A few of my old HJ uniforms are still around in my neighbourhood, as
far as I know.

The last one is from 1981 when I had decided in about 1980 to collect buckles.
In about 1984/1985 I sold all, due to the many fakes that came into the collecting-
world. When I ended I did own about 265 buckles. All TR and all originals. Half were
sold to friends in Europe (mainly Germany), an American in Texas and a collector in
Canada. 115 or about were sold to a guy in Australia, wo again sold a lot (most) of them
to an American collector.

The colored plates you see in the background of the glass show-cases were the original
colored plates in the first and/or second proof-printing stage, which were given to me by
my friend in those days Brian Davis from England. Pitily I lost contact with him years ago.

Attachments

Last edited:
I love this firefighter uniform. Its the most beautiful thing I haved seen in many many time

Railhouse: that's in fact how all started in 1969. I bought models and changed them at hands
of photographs I had seen in books. In those days one could not buy so much material as
in these days. I bought some books on German uniforms, so I knew how to paint them.
That was the start of all. I was given my first Samurai sword by a father of a friend, and
bought the others. After a year I went into German stuff, due to the help of a German friend.
Then things got rolling.

Albrecht: I owned two firefighter tunics, but in those days one could not find in Europe the
special diamond at all. Owned also two tunics of the Germanische Reichsschule at Valkenburg.
One is in David Littlejohn's "The Hitler Youth" on page 133, but there it was wrongly explained
as NPEA. Littlejohn only should have looked at the upper photograph and he would have known
the correct answer.

Seeing this I get very amazed by your old collection. I really want to have a firefighter's tunic. Is one of my favourites.

I have found some more photographs, but it would be too much to show them all.
So, the last ones:

me in 1974, as a Hauptmann der Flieger. A complete summer uniform with "all ins and outs".

1976 a and b: my small uniform for an army officer with all its aspects in front of my DAF-flag
with pole and top. The uniform was so small I had to find myself a boys mannequin that fitted the dress.
Further a wall with what I owned at that moment on HJ-uniforms. From left to right: winterblouse motor-HJ,
BDM-Kletterjacke, DJ summer blouse; HJ winter-dress from the war; HJ summer-dress; two tunics from the
Germanische Reichsschule at Valkenburg; SA mountain tunic and RAD tunic.

1979: HJ summer-dress with one of my raincapes (I owned two of them in a perfect condition).

1981: this is the way how I showed my buckles. Here and there a photograph of wearing and parts (copies)
from the official regulations. Shown the HJ-part (except DJ) and the police buckles.
The golden HJ leaders buckle was a gift from the bookkeeper from the Deumer-concern. It was in the first
buckle-book from Angolia on page 90. I was one of the few proud owners for such a buckle.
The well-known Klietmann denied they ever had existed. Nowadays every itself respecting buckle collector
owns one. Most of them one can dispute as they were a perfect condition aluminum HJ leaders buckle,
which was gilded or golden anodized (after the war).

Attachments

Great collection Wilhelm , Do you recall whom you sold the Reichsschule Valkenburg tunics to ?

Both went to a guy here in my country. One I later could trace back and went to our all known
and best friend Jeff Hammond some years ago. The other one I do not know anymore where it is.
Neither do I know where my Feuerwehrschar-outfit has gone. That also goes for my Ordensburg
tunic. Tried to find it, but somewhere "on the road" the link got lost.
A friend of mine still owns my SA Reiterstandarte-uniform and I thought he had also some of my HJ
uniforms.

with this Japanese sword my interest in militaria started in 1969, so now over 40 years ago.
It was the first item. It was given to me by my friend's father, who had brought it from the Dutch colony Ned.Indië,
where he had served as a soldier.

in 1970 I started with some Third Reich "nicknacks", but daggers was what I liked the most at that moment. The
photograph is from early 1972.

In about 1973 my interest was soon attracted to the HJ, it's uniforms and insignia. The uniforms came first, then came some
insignia and some headgear: the Oberbann colors yellow and black. The red piped cap was said to be from a driver. I had no
real knowledge in those days. But my interest in regulations had started in the same year, due to a good friend, a Dutch judge,
who is my friend and mentor since about then.
Shown is the extremely rare cuffband "Germanische Jugend", an item that was introduced during the war when the Dutch
(HJ and Jeugdstorm) became guests from the HJ-organization in Germany.

I still had not decided what to collect as my favorite. The SS tunic is in fact a field-grey navy tunic with SS insignia. I got it
from an SS member, living in my city. He owned some more items. The tunic he took when his old tunic was into pieces
during pulling back from the eastern front. It was field-grey like and that was what he had worn earlier. He knew how to
manage to take some items back home. Where it was hidden. Then he was sent to prison. A camouflage helmet was hand-
painted by himself (first photograph at left on the ground). It was stolen from me, possibly by a visitor, during a sort of
exhibition/lecture of WWII items. I have never seen it offered (the name of the SS-member was painted on the inside).

Attachments

Last edited:
Maybe I will show a few more glass-plates with buckles from 1981. From later years
I do not have any photographs anymore. But as often mentioned in about 1984/1985
I stopped collecting Third Reich items.

In November 2000 I started collecting RAD traditions cap-badges. So, in some ways I
was back to items from the Third Reich. I found in total about 65 during the period I
collected them. Most of these will be shown in volume 5 for "Headgear of Hitler's Germany",
in the RAD chapter. The book will be released in about late spring this year.
They were nicely shown in my glass show-case. I have some total view photographs, which
I can show later. From a specific period I have photographs where about 55 are visible,
including photographs of wearing the badges.

All badges were sold during 2007/2008, when I started collecting Japanese female kimono.
The "stock" of that collection I could buy, due to the money from these badges!!

Last edited:
of insanity ............... Wim is your former great collection ..... the pieces HJ Particularly, I like ..... we will have something to talk about when we meet the photo on the ..... you is wearing the air Force uniform 2 years prior to my birth ..

Think what I could have had when I had decided not to quite HJ-collecting and collecting
in general, but would totally have gone into HJ. In over 30 years I would have had quite a
HJ collection with the possibilities and sources I had. But that is when.........and I did not!!

this is the way I showed my material. When I stopped collecting all open spaces for the glass-plates were
filled up with buckles. The shown photographs were taken March 15, 1981.

This is how I displayed my RAD traditions cap badges. The photographs are taken in about June 2004.
A few more are to come and then I have shown what I liked to show.

Now I am into Japanese female kimono and Asian chopsticks. Quite different subjects. I have told this
about various times. Due to space-limits, especially for kimono, I have to back off, as I have no room in
the house anymore to display these large dresses.

Attachments

Last edited:
the rest of the displays for the RAD traditions cap badges. Note photographs of wearing and
here and there parts from regulations are included:

Various of the shown photographs in this thread I may have shown also at some other forums!!

Attachments

thanks you all take the time to have a look. It was not a big collection, but
what I owned I was glad to have and proud to show. And so I did my best
to display it as best as I was able!

In the thread "Other Collections" I have a post as "No Third Reich". There one
can see what I am collecting these days!

Last edited:
Back