The Adolf Hitler Schule in Havana Cuba? Anyone have any info?

Thanks Received
Many years ago I had a copy of an NSDAP-AO book on the Americas.
One thing that has stuck in my mind is a series of pictures from the Adolf Hitler Schule in Habana, Kuba.

Does anyone have any infor mation or pictures about the Volksdeutsche community in Cuba and any HJ active there?

Coburger

Hi there,

It's my understanding that Cuba would have been very insignificant in terms of the NSDAP AO. There was certrainly no Adolf Hitler Schule (AHS) in the sense of AHS Heiligendamm, AHS Tilsit etc but I guess that there may have been a primary school called "Adolf Hitler Schule" as indeed there were in Germany i.e. schools that were not part of the AHS system but which simply called themselves "Adolf Hitler Schule" to show their support. Cuba took Jews in who were escaping nazi repression and who wanted to use Cuba as a springboard for a later move to the US so I wouldn't say that the country was a nazi stronghold by any means.

Hi there,

It's my understanding that Cuba would have been very insignificant in terms of the NSDAP AO. There was certrainly no Adolf Hitler Schule (AHS) in the sense of AHS Heiligendamm, AHS Tilsit etc but I guess that there may have been a primary school called "Adolf Hitler Schule" as indeed there were in Germany i.e. schools that were not part of the AHS system but which simply called themselves "Adolf Hitler Schule" to show their support. Cuba took Jews in who were escaping nazi repression and who wanted to use Cuba as a springboard for a later move to the US so I wouldn't say that the country was a nazi stronghold by any means.
But it was good enough for Propaganda, of course. Cuba charted a very interesting middle course in the 1930s and could be either a refuge, or a pipe dream for those fleeing the Fatherland, ie the St. Louis which was turned away even with landing papers. I still think these small pockets in the New World are very interesting.

Back