M7/13 Hitler Youth knife engraved with gelobt sei was hart macht - Juist

Thanks Received
I have been offered a South African(?) HJ knife.Usual form (unlike the Dutch Jeugdstorm,probably German production) but it has an Afrikaner inscription on the blade.Does anyone know of the existence of these knives?
I have already seen the Spanish HJ-knives with the "Arriba Espana" inscription,but I think they are questionable.
Thanks for looking at this.

As an "Afrikaner" myself, i cant say i have ever heard of this item before? Can you show images---

Cannot show images.It is not in my possession.I;ve been promised a 50 % reduction if I can find another foto of such a knife.I had it in my hands and altough I'm not as great an expert as I wished I was,It looked en felt very convincing.A pity I don't remember the inscription,but next month I'm going to pick up my Kriegsmarine dagger there and I'll check again.This man is not a professional dealer,but has great knowledge ww2.
I'll keep you posted.
Greetings from Flanders.

I have never heard of, nor seen a so-called HJ "afrikaner" knife, lett alone heard of a Spanish knife with an
"Arriba Espana" inscription?
Common get serious. Why didn't they put a bull fighter on the blade as they were busy.....?
I've also seen the "Jeugdstorm" Dutch knife and seen the so-called Slovakian and Bulgarian HJ knives.

And for this "afrikaner" knife you were promised a 50% reduction on the prize, for such a supposed to be RARE knife, boy you must be a good customer or friend????
I would be most suspicious.

Hey, I've made at the start of my collecting days also mistakes, who doesn't?
(I've bought at the beginning of my collecting days a so-called BDM knife from a world known collector/dealer and writer of books)

I'm not so keen on spending my money on those foreign knives.
I'll stay with the easy to establish real deal, german high quality fabricated products.
(Deutsche Gründlichkeit)

Mike
:belgium

Tell you what, if the motto says "VOETSEK" i`ll buy if from you - at any price!
You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Thx for showing.
never seen before. Learned something new.
Once again this forum has proven his usefullness.
nevertheless I ll stay with my transitionals.

Mike

Terre'Blanche would be doing somersaults in his grave if he knew there was doubt....

Attachments

Have seen the knife.Surely not South-African.It has a nicely engraved motto: "Gelobt sei was hart macht" and on the other side "Juist".I found in the Warrelics-forum,that Juist is an Island before the coast of Germany.They didn't agree Yet whether it could be genuine or not.Can you guys tell me more?
Thank you all for your trouble and truly sorry for the misinformation I was given and passed on to you.
Greetings from Flanders,petervkh

No worries will look later, and being an ex-South African, i was only having a bit of fun with the pics of the AWB and Eugen the terrible. Of course there was never any special HJ Südafrikaner knife.

I got the foto's.What do you think?
Thank you.

Attachments

with repaired enamel? :thumb:
Mate, thats just my common sense sensors working overtime. The same as nobody would judge a Knights Cross based on the ring attached to it, i would also not consider the HJ membership diamond or scabbard into any "evaluation" of an HJ knife. The diamonds were definitely - without exception - not made by the blade maker, and the scabbard most likely too, so it`s best to omit the easily replaceable parts for the initial evaluation. I know what all the big wigs think and say in their U-Toob videos on HJ knives, but they all sadly have their heads in the clouds though. (or up each others :censored: )

Yes, as you say Peter, nothing on the knife suggests that it came from South Africa. The motto "Gelobt sei was hart macht" is from Friedrich Nietzsche and dates to 1883-5 but of course HJ collectors would normally recognise it as having something to do with the HJ, particularly the NPEA system. However, there was never an NPEA on the island of Juist of course and we know that the knives carried by NPEA pupils were of a different design (NPEA Seitengewehr) and with a different motto ("Mehr sein als scheinen"). So, the engraving on the HJ knife here, if from the period, is secondary to the question of whether it is actually an authentic knife. I'd be interested to hear from Russ and Mac on that.

I am very curious,whether any of the experts can draw any conclusions about the originality by comparing the 2 knives. It is mine now.I'll make better pictures this week-end if needed.
Greetings from Flanders.

looking at the badly pitted blade the engraving is in no way effected by it so it is totally bogus from what I see enhanced for bigger bucks on a beater knife imo :canada1

On Warrelics 2 other knives have surfaced.Both are from the same maker.Does this change your point of view?
Thanks for looking.

Hi Peter,

The knives themselves all look fine. The engraving is still a mystery though of course. We know where the phrase on the blade comes from, who it can possibly be connected to in the HJ and we know that Juist is off the German coast but that's about it really. Hopefully more information will turn up on these knives.

Back