Frente Juventudes - Spain

Thanks Received
Hi there,

I will try to explain a bit about this youth association in Spain during the WWII and a bit before.

This organization was created in 1940 to group all of the different youth movements in Spain after the end of the Spanish Civil war. Obviously, I am talking of organizations belonging to the only party available in Spain after 1939, Falange Española Tradicionalista y de las JONS. For example other groups were the Pelayos, The Carlism movement, etc.

Also, we are talking about other associations belonging to the Catholic Church. In Spain, right after the war, this institution had a tremendous power in Spain. Many people in my home tome were more afraid of them that the police.

But going back to Frente de Juventudes, as you know or can imagine, their great inspiration was the HJ and the Italian Milicias. But also there was as great relation with the Portuguese Mocidade, another pro-militar youth association in Portugal.

The education was really similar to the HJ, meaning they were putting emphasis on politic doctrine, physical exercise and military experience. But the main difference is that the “psicological” and “mental” training was carried on by the Catholic Church. So they were educated:

- Politic education in the Spanish Movement.
- Physical Education and Sport
- Military Education
- Home Education for the female section (right like the BDM).
- It was a must to be part of the religious movement as well as be an active part of it.

Between 1936 and 1944, the relation with the H increased and got quite strong. Every year there were hundreds of German and Spanish HJ members visiting Spain and viceversa, many Spanish “Frende de Juventudes” visited Germany in exchange. There are many records of visits, presents (for example, Rifles for the FJ), trainings, etc between both organizations.

A great source of information can be read in the newspapers back then. For those who know a bit of Spanish, it is recommended to “swim” in this Spanish newspaper; The “ABC”.

http://hemeroteca.abc.es/

I will try more information about the uniforms, but I believe they were very similar to the one belonging to the Falange: Red Berte, Blue shirt (similar to the German Brown shirts of the Italian Black shirts) with the Falange arrows and yoke in Red, black trourses.

I have also found a few pictures that may be interesting, from left to Right, we find the original FJ crest, then we move on into their armband, a nice one (in our case from Guadalajara, not that far from Madrid), then we find a typical Falange / FJ shirt and finally and pre 1940 meeting of the Falange Youth.

Hope I can get more info soon.

Best Regards

Antonio

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

This is really good info Antonio:thumbup:

Do you have any Spanish HJ items in your collection?

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your words.

I do not have YET anything but I will be looking next year for a couple of items. So far they are not that expensive so I will be getting some for sure!!

Regards

Antonio

By the way, for your information.

The political party called "La Falange" is still active (and legal) in many cities in Spain. They also have a youth section.

Best Regards

Antonio

By the way, for your information.

The political party called "La Falange" is still active (and legal) in many cities in Spain. They also have a youth section.

Best Regards

Antonio

Wow thats amazing! Are their politics the same?

Be sure to share pics of items you buy!:)

Nick

Thank you gentlemen!

So, let’s talk now about a really “familiar” item for all of us.

The Frente de Juventudes also had their knife. Although not many of them were produced, still we are able to find them in the market. They are just the same as the HJ, well, almost the same as there are more a few differences between both of them, for example, the HJ blade is thinner as the Falange one and also the shape is different. Obviously we all can see that the Diamond is different and in the FJ ones, the symbol of the Falange is appearing.

The knife was started to be produced in 1936 and marked SEAM (1936) and kept on producing after the Civil War. They were produced in Spain. It is said that they were not as good as the first. But it is really difficult to find nowadays those 1936 knifes, but still knifes made in 1942 and over, are more or less easier to find, but still at really high prices, 2 or 3 times more expensive as the HJ ones.

Best Regards

Antonio

Attachments

Thanks Steve,

Unfortunatelly, there is no much information about this organization. And believe it or not, this organization was "disolved" in 1977. I just realised that we have erased so many years of history.

When Franco died, Spain immediately put a wall to those years, everything was forgotten or to be forgotten. Nobody spoke when the democracy came about the army, the thousand of missing people or about those times. We went into democracy putting to sleep what it caused the war in 1936 and the years after.

Now, Spain is waking up those feelings. From one side is good, now many of the people who got killed in the mountains. Those left winged, writers, homosexuals or normal people who were shot and left in mass graves in the mountains, are coming lback to life. People are starting looking for them to burry them in normal cemeteries. Never to be forgotten, like my grandfather, God knows where he is resting.

I just hope that we, in Spain, only awake the history, but never again the hate whuich caused the worst event in Spain.

So knowing our own story, from all of the sides, will help us to understand our own present and never repeat the past.

So I will try to keep putting things together, bit a bit. Hope I have the time and patience.

Best Regards

Antonio

Back