Latvian Luftwaffen-Helfer

Thanks Received
I thought that during the short time that I have the ability to post I would share this youth related badge.

It's the badge of the Latvian Luftwaffen-Helfer. A little damaged but a hard one to find.

Sorry for the quality of the image I'm afraid my scanner is getting a little old (like me).

Cheers
Don

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Here is the reverse with the typical screw & pole used by Latvians & other Baltic states.

Sorry again for the poor scan, my scanner doesn't deal well with the depth of field needed for these.

These were breast badges used by the Latvian youth units engaged in flak units. There was also a cap device of the same design.

Cheers
Don

Attachments

Wow. How did you get onto the trail of this one Don? Did you research the badge or did you establish the existence of the badge during research (if you know what I mean :) )

Wow. How did you get onto the trail of this one Don? Did you research the badge or did you establish the existence of the badge during research (if you know what I mean :) )

A bit of both really.

I've known of the existence of these badges for over 40 years after being shown one by a family member who brought one back at the end of the war. However he didn't know what it was (he thought it was HJ).

It wasn't until the late 1980's/early 90's when Littlejohn published his "Foreign Legions" books that I discovered what it was.

It then took me another 15 years or so to actually find one of my own...........

I'll scan a couple of the "in wear" pix from the book later & post them before my time runs out.

Cheers
Don

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing those Don.

You always have the option of becoming a Full Member of course. That way your time wouldn't need to run out :biggrin1:

You always have the option of becoming a Full Member of course. That way your time wouldn't need to run out :biggrin1:

I know Garry, but I'm cheap!! :blush:

Here you go, pic of an LJO Officer from Littlejohn's Foreign Legions, Vol 4. and credited to Indulis Kažocinš.

Notice he has the breast badge as well as a cap badge. I'm not sure what the difference is, if any. The official name of the organisation was originally Latvju Jaunatnes Organizacija (LJO) and were used as Landdienst and Luft Helpers. The Landdienst under control of the HJ and the luft as expected initially under the Luftwaffe, however in November 1944 the SS took control and they became known as SS Zöglinge.

Cheers
Don

Attachments

Very interesting Don and thanks for that great picture. I had never heard of that particular organisation before.

Attachments

there was an armband with that design on that was called fantasy infact shane just showed a display by a hj vet that has the design of this badge on it

According to Littlejohn that is correct. Apparently the proposed design was shown in a period publication, however he states that according to the testimony of those who served with the units they were never issued.

He goes on to say that the ones on the collectors market are either from unissued stock or of post war manufacture........

I'm not a cloth collector so am unable to give an opinion on the armbands except to say that from my experience they are a lot easier to find that the badges. Over the years I must have seen 20 or so of them whereas I only know of 3 badges (although there must be more!).

Cheers
Don

According to Littlejohn that is correct. Apparently the proposed design was shown in a period publication, however he states that according to the testimony of those who served with the units they were never issued.

He goes on to say that the ones on the collectors market are either from unissued stock or of post war manufacture........

I'm not a cloth collector so am unable to give an opinion on the armbands except to say that from my experience they are a lot easier to find that the badges. Over the years I must have seen 20 or so of them whereas I only know of 3 badges (although there must be more!).

Cheers
Don

interesting reply don, but to me all these screen printed ones you see are hard to beleive and take in as originals also of note is the one in your period picture is not the same armband as the one i am talking of

interesting reply don, but to me all these screen printed ones you see are hard to beleive and take in as originals also of note is the one in your period picture is not the same armband as the one i am talking of

Exactly! When I said "according to Littlejohn that is correct" I did not mean that he said that those armbands were correct, but what you had said about them being suspect was correct (sorry for any confusion).

Littlejohn was saying that they used the traditional Latvian symbol on their armbands.

Also the Swastika on the suspect armbands is black, the Latvians used a red Swastika......

Cheers
Don

Last edited:
Back