Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Please login to view user info
    there was an armband with that design on that was called fantasy infact shane just showed a display by a HJ vet that has the design of this badge on it

Quote Originally Posted by Ewan stirling View Post
    there was an armband with that design on that was called fantasy infact shane just showed a display by a HJ vet that has the design of this badge on it
    According to Littlejohn that is correct. Apparently the proposed design was shown in a period publication, however he states that according to the testimony of those who served with the units they were never issued.

He goes on to say that the ones on the collectors market are either from unissued stock or of post war manufacture........

I'm not a cloth collector so am unable to give an opinion on the armbands except to say that from my experience they are a lot easier to find that the badges. Over the years I must have seen 20 or so of them whereas I only know of 3 badges (although there must be more!).

Cheers
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scowen View Post
    According to Littlejohn that is correct. Apparently the proposed design was shown in a period publication, however he states that according to the testimony of those who served with the units they were never issued.

He goes on to say that the ones on the collectors market are either from unissued stock or of post war manufacture........

I'm not a cloth collector so am unable to give an opinion on the armbands except to say that from my experience they are a lot easier to find that the badges. Over the years I must have seen 20 or so of them whereas I only know of 3 badges (although there must be more!).

Cheers
    Don
    interesting reply don, but to me all these screen printed ones you see are hard to beleive and take in as originals also of note is the one in your period picture is not the same armband as the one i am talking of

Quote Originally Posted by Ewan stirling View Post
    interesting reply don, but to me all these screen printed ones you see are hard to beleive and take in as originals also of note is the one in your period picture is not the same armband as the one i am talking of
    Exactly! When I said "according to Littlejohn that is correct" I did not mean that he said that those armbands were correct, but what you had said about them being suspect was correct (sorry for any confusion).

Littlejohn was saying that they used the traditional Latvian symbol on their armbands.

Also the Swastika on the suspect armbands is black, the Latvians used a red Swastika......

Cheers
    Don
    Last edited by Scowen; 11th June 2010 at 07:54 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12