Deutsches Jungvolk Armband and Family Photos

Thanks Received
Hello all. Here is a group of five photos of, I am guessing, a father in the SA, an older son in the HJ and a younger son in the DJ. The first two photos show the oldest son in a HJ uniform and the back is dated 1933. The next photo shows the younger son wearing I would guess is a DJ uniform and it is also dated 1933. The next three photos are dated 1936 and show the youngest son in a typical DJ uniform and the eldest as a leader in the HJ. I assume the assume the brothers were 11 and 15 years old in 1933. Looking at the youngest brothers uniform in 1933 you clearly see he is wearing an armband with a single rune. Any comments? Thanks:canada1

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi and thanks for showing your photos. There was no officially introduced armband for the DJ and a description of the official uniform for the Deutsches Jungvolk from 1932/3 confirms the absence of such an armband. The same can be said for 1933/4 and obviously for the years after that. However, photos like yours and others on the forum show that kids did sometimes wear armbands like this in the very early period. Usually, these armbands are attributed to the Flemish HJ who are known to have worn them.

Just out of interest, does the early DJ photo have a location or photographer's stamp on the reverse? Is there one on any of the remaining four photos?

Thanks.

Thanks Garry. The reverse on all photos only have the handwritten date and agfa-lupex marks. I did my best with photoshop to blow up the fathers collar tab and managed to get the numbers 89 but the rest is too blurry for me. Hopefully this might help in a location.

Attachments

I've started to color some of my photos and am going to do the DJ with the single rune armband now. I just realized that the armband seems so dark that it seems it was probably a black band instead of red which would make sense as their flags and pennants are black also. What do you guys think?

Attachments

Last edited:
I had to Google it as I know almost nothing about SA insignia and organisation but if that is "xx/89" on the SA man's collar that should be Austria (possibly Znaim?). The white socks being worn by the chap in the first photo would support that location. The armband is definitely red/white with black rune. Great fun colouring these old photos isn't it. I posted a few of mine here if you fancy a look: http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f34/colourised-photos-736/

Why Znaim? I do not see an Edelweiss being worn by any of the boys, or am I wrong in this?

I do rate the photo's about 1935/1936 and so the number 89 represents Schwerin (Hansa)
for which the top of the kepi is being navy-blue. It seems there is an "R" in front of the 89
and so he is from a reserve-unit (also Schwerin).

In the SHAEF-reports a 89 was mentioned at Znaim (Austria - Donau),
but I never found any confirmation.
My official address-lists from 1935 through 1942 do not mention it,
frankly said. Just as what I told about.
The old man indeed is SA. The reserve-unit disappeared anyway in 1936.

In the SHAEF-reports a 89 was mentioned at Znaim (Austria - Donau),
but I never found any confirmation.
My official address-lists from 1935 through 1942 do not mention it,
frankly said. Just as what I told about.
The old man indeed is SA. The reserve-unit disappeared anyway in 1936.
Thank you both Garry and Wilhelm for your valuable knowledge! The photo the father is in has March 1936 as the date it was taken. So possibly Austria? Maybe this would explain the DJ armband? I love a mystery...

I had to Google it as I know almost nothing about SA insignia and organisation but if that is "xx/89" on the SA man's collar that should be Austria (possibly Znaim?). The white socks being worn by the chap in the first photo would support that location. The armband is definitely red/white with black rune. Great fun colouring these old photos isn't it. I posted a few of mine here if you fancy a look: http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f34/colourised-photos-736/
Great job with the coloring. I recently started doing some of my collection and it is a challenge but I am getting better and faster as I go along. Photoshop is a great tool and I have a long way to mastering it but it is fun and rewarding to see the b/w's in natural(I'm trying lol)color.

Is his collar Spiegel showing Sturm/Standarte? I only ask because according to the reference, there was an SA-Standarte 89 in Vienna in 1934 (mentioned in Österreichs militärisches Potential im März 1938 By Erwin Steinböck).

Other references for Standarte 89:

1931-2, SA-Standarte 89 (Wismar) - Statisten in Uniform: die Mitglieder des Reichstags 1933-1945 Joachim Lilla, Martin Döring, Andreas Schulz 2004

1938, SA-Standarte 89 (Schwerin) - Corpora ethnographica online: Strategien der Digitalisierung kultureller ... edited by Holger Meyer, Christoph Schmitt, Stefanie Janssen, Alf-Christian Schering)

1939, Sturm 32/89 (Friedrich Just) is located in Dassow, Mecklenburg (Das Archiv; Nachschlagewerk fĂĽr Politik, Wirtschaft, Kultur, Issues 61-63 1939).

So, Mecklenburg mainly but with the exception of that austrian Standarte in 1934. As I say though, I know next to nothing about the SA so just pulling out references.

Is his collar Spiegel showing Sturm/Standarte? I only ask because according to the reference, there was an SA-Standarte 89 in Vienna in 1934 (mentioned in Österreichs militärisches Potential im März 1938 By Erwin Steinböck).

However, in 1939, Sturm 32/89 (Friedrich Just) is located in Dassow, Mecklenburg (Das Archiv; Nachschlagewerk fĂĽr Politik, Wirtschaft, Kultur, Issues 61-63 1939).

As I say though, I know next to nothing about the SA so this all might mean zip in terms of the location for BlackWatch1's photos.
Wow. Thank you Garry for your hard work researching these photos! I only wish I could get a better view of the collar tab. I cropped the photo and then used Smart Sharpen. I then converted the image to a negative for a different perspective. I will try again and see if I can accomplish something more useful. Charles.

No probs Charles. It would certainly appear to be the case that there was an SA-Standarte 89 in Vienna in 1934 but as Wim and those references say, that number was also used prior to and after that in Mecklenburg. The tab on the photo certainly does look like "89".

Any help?

Attachments

There still is an interesting issue here as far as that armband. The other proposed Flemish have a different shape as far as the rune. I have seen a few of the armbands like the boy is wearing on the original posted photo, but only 1 made just like the flemish one.

Attachments

The one in the photo originally shown is most likely this type. It is a BeVo construction. There is also as I'm sure a lot of you have seen the regular HJ made like these, and the NSDAP armbands which are earlier before I believe the RZM stopped the production of them. Compare the rune once again. This one is much more extended than the flemish type. So there is something going on as far as being earlier with these IMO

Attachments

So does this photo absolutely prove the use and wear of the Sig Rune armband by German D.J. members? I ask as the owner has listed the item on Ebay using this descriptor:

1933 PROOF THAT THE SIG RUNE ARMBAND WAS USED BY THE DEUTSCHES JUNGVOlk!"

"This group of Photos proves that the Sig Rune armband was used by the Hitler Youth's junior organization the Deutsches Jungvolk in Germany. The first two photos show brothers in 1933. The first shows the youngest in the DJ and the second the older brother in the HJ. The following three photos show the brothers and their father(?)three years later. All photographs are guaranteed original. The Sig Rune DJ armband has been believed to of been only worn by the Flemish HJ but this is hard evidence that it was used for a time in Germany and would be a jewel in any Hitler Youth/Deutsches Jungvolk/BDM collection! I scanned these using a low resolution and the red text on the images are not actually on the photographs themselves."

I woold like to see a old document (before the end of the war in 1945)
where the sigrune armband is being mentioned for German DJ.
I checked various regulations and I can't find any indication from 1933
or a later date! Is it just a guess from the one or other person?

Would also like to know where it is noted the RZM stopped manufacturing
specific armbands?

Back