Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Please login to view user info

Question Deutsches Jungvolk Armband and Family Photos

Hello all. Here is a group of five photos of, I am guessing, a father in the SA, an older son in the HJ and a younger son in the DJ. The first two photos show the oldest son in a HJ uniform and the back is dated 1933. The next photo shows the younger son wearing I would guess is a DJ uniform and it is also dated 1933. The next three photos are dated 1936 and show the youngest son in a typical DJ uniform and the eldest as a leader in the HJ. I assume the assume the brothers were 11 and 15 years old in 1933. Looking at the youngest brothers uniform in 1933 you clearly see he is wearing an armband with a single rune. Any comments? Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi and thanks for showing your photos. There was no officially introduced armband for the DJ and a description of the official uniform for the Deutsches Jungvolk from 1932/3 confirms the absence of such an armband. The same can be said for 1933/4 and obviously for the years after that. However, photos like yours and others on the forum show that kids did sometimes wear armbands like this in the very early period. Usually, these armbands are attributed to the Flemish HJ who are known to have worn them.

Just out of interest, does the early DJ photo have a location or photographer's stamp on the reverse? Is there one on any of the remaining four photos?

Thanks.

Thanks Garry. The reverse on all photos only have the handwritten date and agfa-lupex marks. I did my best with photoshop to blow up the fathers collar tab and managed to get the numbers 89 but the rest is too blurry for me. Hopefully this might help in a location.

I've started to color some of my photos and am going to do the DJ with the single rune armband now. I just realized that the armband seems so dark that it seems it was probably a black band instead of red which would make sense as their flags and pennants are black also. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by BlackWatch1; 13th March 2016 at 03:42 AM.

I had to Google it as I know almost nothing about SA insignia and organisation but if that is "xx/89" on the SA man's collar that should be Austria (possibly Znaim?). The white socks being worn by the chap in the first photo would support that location. The armband is definitely red/white with black rune. Great fun colouring these old photos isn't it. I posted a few of mine here if you fancy a look: Colourised photos

Why Znaim? I do not see an Edelweiss being worn by any of the boys, or am I wrong in this?

I do rate the photo's about 1935/1936 and so the number 89 represents Schwerin (Hansa)
    for which the top of the kepi is being navy-blue. It seems there is an "R" in front of the 89
    and so he is from a reserve-unit (also Schwerin).

Quote Originally Posted by wilhelm saris View Post
    Why Znaim? I do not see an Edelweiss being worn by any of the boys, or am I wrong in this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry View Post
    I had to Google it as I know almost nothing about SA insignia and organisation
    The page I found must be wrong but I hoped that you would see the thread

In the SHAEF-reports a 89 was mentioned at Znaim (Austria - Donau),
    but I never found any confirmation.
    My official address-lists from 1935 through 1942 do not mention it,
    frankly said. Just as what I told about.
    The old man indeed is SA. The reserve-unit disappeared anyway in 1936.

Quote Originally Posted by wilhelm saris View Post
    In the SHAEF-reports a 89 was mentioned at Znaim (Austria - Donau),
    but I never found any confirmation.
    My official address-lists from 1935 through 1942 do not mention it,
    frankly said. Just as what I told about.
    The old man indeed is SA. The reserve-unit disappeared anyway in 1936.
    Thank you both Garry and Wilhelm for your valuable knowledge! The photo the father is in has March 1936 as the date it was taken. So possibly Austria? Maybe this would explain the DJ armband? I love a mystery...

Quote Originally Posted by Garry View Post
    I had to Google it as I know almost nothing about SA insignia and organisation but if that is "xx/89" on the SA man's collar that should be Austria (possibly Znaim?). The white socks being worn by the chap in the first photo would support that location. The armband is definitely red/white with black rune. Great fun colouring these old photos isn't it. I posted a few of mine here if you fancy a look: Colourised photos
    Great job with the coloring. I recently started doing some of my collection and it is a challenge but I am getting better and faster as I go along. Photoshop is a great tool and I have a long way to mastering it but it is fun and rewarding to see the b/w's in natural(I'm trying lol)color.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast