HJ Einsatzgefolgschaft and Jugendkompanie Gottingen armbands - thoughts?

Thanks Received
Hi. Any thoughts on this armband? Looks bad to me, like a Manion's fantasy piece? Value range if real?

Thanks in advance.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

The Gottingen could well be a WW1 period piece. The Jugendkompanie was a unit composed of school-age boys who were drilled and taught to shoot etc. They took the number of the local infantry regiment.

The Einsatzgefolgschaft armband must be a fantasy. The Einsatzgefolgschaften and their duties are described in a 1938 regulation. They were raised in Berlin, Munich, Hamburg and Dortmund and were composed of hand-picked boys for special duties (honour formations for dignitaries and the like) and their turn-out had to be of a high standard. I can't believe that they would ever have worn a printed item like that.

Edit: see also post #9 below.

Well, Joe, you bring up a good point...I was originally asking about the armband that is lower in the picture, but both armbands pictured are very curious.

There's a pic of the E-G armband in Angolia's Volume 1 of The HJ, page 184-185. He mentions the regulations about the E-G, or Special Assignment. He says it was required that each member store a new uniform to be issued in the event the unit was called to duty. He says the order made no mention of the listed armband.

Regards

Russ

Last edited:
I have to agree with Garry on this one. I've seen those armbands up for sale before, and they just sit. If they were legitimate and scarce they would be snapped up quickly.

Missed a bit out which could be important. Angolia mentions "a series of armbands can be observed in period photographs being worn by members of the Hitler Youth. .... Some of those encountered are as follows: Einsatz-Gefolgsch. ... Black printed block letter title on the white field of the standard HJ armband."

Reads like there are period pics of this in wear, but none are shown.

Regards

Russ

There's a pic of the E-G armband in Angolia's Volume 1 of The HJ, page 184-185. He mentions the regulations about the E-G, or Special Assignment. He says it was required that each member store a new uniform to be issued in the event the unit was called to duty. He says the order made no mention of the listed armband.

Regards

Russ

Yes, Angolia's information is confirmed by the regulations I have here Russ. I should have mentioned this in my first post but there is no mention made of a special armband for the Einsatzgefolgschaft in the regulations and they go into a lot of detail on these units.

The distinguishing feature of the Einsatzgefolgschaft uniforms was a cufftitle applied to the lower left sleeve showing the bestowed name (Ehrenname) of the Gefolgschaft. Apart from that the uniforms were standard.

The Gottingen armband is not HJ. The references I have for these put them in the WW1 period.

I hate to wade in on these "is it period" threads, truth can hurt. Its sometimes difficult to judge cloth or anything else when its not in hand.In this case. Douglas,I really don't like anything I see in the entire photo let alone the 2 foremost armbands but that's just me and I am looking at a photo. Doubt and suspicion are a prevalent thing in this hobby any more and as I have entered my reclining years I tend to have more doubt.

I hate to wade in on these "is it period" threads, truth can hurt. Its sometimes difficult to judge cloth or anything else when its not in hand.In this case. Douglas,I really don't like anything I see in the entire photo let alone the 2 foremost armbands but that's just me and I am looking at a photo. Doubt and suspicion are a prevalent thing in this hobby any more and as I have entered my reclining years I tend to have more doubt.

No, I appreciate your comments. I'm new to HJ collecting, somewhat, and my feelings on all the armbands as pictured is right in line with your thoughts. Just wanted to get some outside opinions. I had planned to pass on them, and have no desire to purchase them now for sure! Someone has suggested that the one in the lower portion of the pic is of an earlier era, non-TR. They may be right on that one.

:) I'm the someone and I can guarantee that the lower armband is not HJ. You would be well advised not to touch the Einsatzgefolgschaft armband with a barge pole unless you can get it cheap. If you can it will afford you the luxury of being able to wait for evidence to surface which will support the case (or indeed not) for it being authentic. At the moment nothing points to it being something which would have been worn by Einsatzgefolgschaft members.

Hi Garry,

I knew that "someone" was you! Just trying to give you a "thanks" for your good info.

Like this??

Attachments

Like this??

Hi,

There is nothing in the 1938 regulation (still extant in 1943) that would support the period existence of special Einsatzgefolgschaft armbands. As mentioned previously, the distinguishing feature of the Einsatzgefolgschaft uniforms was the cuff title mentioned in the regulations. This makes sense because the DJ also provided personnel for the Einsatzgefolgschaft so with that in mind why give the HJ members an additional armband? It makes no sense so in lieu of photographic or other evidence I will continue to view these armbands as fantasy products.

There is a discussion regarding one of these currently on another forum. I would personally avoid this unless the price was very low without good solid evidence that it was indeed used.

I saw that discussion. He was directed to this thread where quotes are given from black and white primary literature that doesn't mention a special armband but does mention a special cuff title. Despite that he still thinks his armband has a chance. Based on what?! Blind hope?

Back